'03 Bandit 600 swap to EFI??

snellk2

Hello all, new guy here. I read the rules but didn't memorize them so may the mods have mercy on my soul if I screw up in some way, and feel free to point me to the door if this is a tired subject or I'm just on a fool's errand in some way. 

So as posted in the topic I have a 2003 Bandit 600 that I bought last year (Utah, USA) and have been slowly revamping into a more modern bike. Love the bike to pieces but have started going down the rabbit hole of what it might take to swap to fuel injection. I'm a very experienced auto mechanic and have been working on bikes here and there for years, but haven't tackled such a daunting project before. I've looked into the microsquirt as a possible ECU solution but then am left unsure of how to tackle the rest e.g. tuning, which throttle bodies to use, timing, etc. 

So am I on a fools errand here? Is it worth the time and energy? I've loved bringing this bike back to life and the modernizing project will go on regardless. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you might impart on my ignorant behalf! 

1 hour ago, TonyGee said:

can i ask why you want to put F.I. on a 600 bandit ? 

Is a pretty good question - And because you can isn't a good enough answer LOL! 

The problem will be the inlet spacings and finding TB's that will fit without major surgery. Obvious solution is use Blandit 1250 hardware which will deffo need adaptation or maybe GSXR600?

• Like 2

I think "because you can" is a pretty good answer for "Why?" question. "Learning something new" is another good one. If we are talking about relatively stock engine benefits of EFI won't be huge compared to well working carbs so it's hard to justify the effort just by them. With boosted or otherwise heavily modified engine the benefits can be more significant. But as my personal opinion you could spend your time and money in much worse ways than converting a stock engine to EFI. I just recommend to take it as a learning project instead of simple fit and forget update.

Naturally there will be several somewhat tricky problems to solve but none of them should be too complicated and definitely nothing that hasn't been done earlier. Mentioned TB fitment is one of the challenges but it isn't any more complicated than other ones and should be doable with some effort.

There is plenty of info on the forum about the topic and I would recommend doing some searching and reading first. For starters here are a couple of threads that are worth of checking.

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions about basically anything EFI related.

5 hours ago, Arttu said:

I think "because you can" is a pretty good answer for "Why?" question. "Learning something new" is another good one. If we are talking about relatively stock engine benefits of EFI won't be huge compared to well working carbs so it's hard to justify the effort just by them. With boosted or otherwise heavily modified engine the benefits can be more significant. But as my personal opinion you could spend your time and money in much worse ways than converting a stock engine to EFI. I just recommend to take it as a learning project instead of simple fit and forget update.

Naturally there will be several somewhat tricky problems to solve but none of them should be too complicated and definitely nothing that hasn't been done earlier. Mentioned TB fitment is one of the challenges but it isn't any more complicated than other ones and should be doable with some effort.

There is plenty of info on the forum about the topic and I would recommend doing some searching and reading first. For starters here are a couple of threads that are worth of checking.

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions about basically anything EFI related.

This is some EXCELLENT info! Thank you! I think the main motivation for doing this is really just for fun. I think it would be a really satisfying way to modernize an older, awesome bike. I've already rebuilt and tuned the carbs, which was a lot of fun, I've also rebuilt and painted the forks and am almost done revamping the brakes. Painting the frame and motor are next and I'm going to be rewiring the bike to a Motogadget M.Unit Blue. EFI probably wouldn't happen for a while, but I'm a planner. I want to do the homework now and be prepared for when I tackle the project. 

On 2/8/2021 at 9:57 AM, TonyGee said:

can i ask why you want to put F.I. on a 600 bandit ? 

Well, I love the bike, want to modernize it (motogadget m.unit blue already purchased and in the plans) and I am mostly just up for the challenge. It's a really fun and simple platform and I think it would be cool to not have to worry about adjusting my carbs every time I want to ride at higher altitude. 

But you bring up a good point, it might not be a project worth the trouble. Still weighing the pros and cons right now. 

On 2/8/2021 at 8:10 AM, Fazz711 said:

Hi bud. 

Welcome to OSS. 

Have a look at the forced induction forum. 

Lots of info in there on efi. 

Thanks for the kind welcome! OSS seems pretty sick! I'm super glad that y'all are still so active. It seems like a lot of forums are pretty dead these days.