What are WPs like compared to oilcooled GSXRs?

Sorry if this is a bit of a daft question but I've owned and ridden a few oil-cooled GSXRs over the years and loved them to bits, but only briefly rode a 750WP.  I did buy an 1100WP motor for a project, but plans changed and I sold it on before I'd even fired it up.

I'm looking for something else to play with and there's a few 1100WPs about, how do they compare to the slingshot 11 in terms of ride?  Do they still have that proper character, but with more power and more weight?

I don't think durability is an issue on a well maintained engine, and there's plenty of power. They can not be bored to huge capacities like SACS and earlier, but at least the watercooled 1100 has properly sized valves instead of 750-like items that older engines have. To me, 750s have proved to be more "idiot proof" than 1100s, when some dumbasses think they have to get drunk and start banging the bike in the rev limiter until the exhaust is starting to melt down.

A friend of mine is riding 07 Yamahahahaha R1, he tried my 7/1146W and said that the torque is really good, usable at low rpm, very prone to wheelie but lacks top end (I'm not surprised when comparing to R1 output figures) and mentioned that the bike will lean quite good. Can't comment that. I will not have a word about chassis, I'm not an expert. During past 3 years, I have gotten used to it, maybe I find it rubbish when I'll try riding something else. I know that my bike is nowhere near a nice suspension setup also, I feel it's not right at all but maybe just the bike is crap.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Can't offer a sensible roadtest but did own a '93 750WP with renthals and no fairing for a while. Hard to say how fast it really was cos I couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground long enough to find out. Absolutely loved it, fantastic fun, made 117 bhp at the back wheel on the dyno and would happily lift the front wheel at 60 or 70 and keep it there no probs. My mate had a similar 1100WP streetfighter with no fairing which made 147 bhp on the same dyno and was even more prone to point skyward at the merest whiff of throttle. That bike was proper mental, and serious fun!

20 minutes ago, Dr Jon said:

Can't offer a sensible roadtest but did own a '93 750WP with renthals and no fairing for a while. Hard to say how fast it really was cos I couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground long enough to find out. Absolutely loved it, fantastic fun, made 117 bhp at the back wheel on the dyno and would happily lift the front wheel at 60 or 70 and keep it there no probs.

What was done engine wise? Dynojet kit and full exhaust?

We both bought them already interfered with. As i recall they both had dynojet kits fitted but not much else done. The 750 had been bought by him to donate its lovely USD front end to the 1100, i only paid £500 for the 750 afterwards with a replacement RWU front end on it and just caned it round for the summer before selling it on to another mate who refitted the fairing and took it off to Europe. It ended up in Switzerland where he got into quite a bit of trouble and ended up coming home to Wales in some disgrace leaving the bike behind in the care of the Swiss authorities :-) The 1100 came as a part ex on a really nice B12.

I only had mine for a few months and the only work i did to it was fit new clutch plates and springs. Can't even remember what exhaust was on it, it was just cheap kicks for the summer. The dyno runs were done at the Builth bike show, the look on the R1 riding power ranger's faces when the scabby old 1100 kicked out 147 brake was priceless. Almost as good as the previous year when my shitey old matt black unfaired 1000RX hit 175 mph on the same dyno :-)

Factory airbox is recommended or so I'm told, I'm running a stock airbox but with a decent K n' N filter but I'm not sure if I've got stage one dynajet needles? Mine have seven grooves where I have ( again) been told that stock needles only have five? Been meaning to ask on here whats standard but been pre occupied by the documented issues ;).

Oh and I'd agree, WR's are pretty heavy:( as standard. Never ridden an older 'REAL' gsxr so can't compare the two. Can only say mine is fun, now it's had a few tweaks here and there, I love thrashing it around Cornwall's wiggly back roads on warm and dry sunny evenings :tu!

21 hours ago, Gammaboy said:

Factory airbox?

Yeh standard airbox on my 750 but separate pod filters on the 1100. Sorry to be so vague, it was a few years ago now and i only kept it for a few mad summer months. Look back on it with great affection though, really regretted selling it but it was definitely beginning to get me into trouble.

Luckily i've got a nice sensible bike now (600f teapot sleeper with an 1100f motor in it), not so good for wheelies but a lot better at getting the power down and staying horizontal. If you want a WP as a serious bike then i recommend keeping the plastics on. You can't really get the power down otherwise without going skyward, even in the bends, great fun but hopeless for really going quick in the twisties.