Front end swap

Pnut

I have a gsx750ef that needs some work. I am thinking gsxr 600/750 usd front end. Would it work or would I end up with the handling of a shopping trolley. My original 1985 bike handled sweetly and I don't want to make it worse. If any of you have done this stuff before I would love to hear your experiences. 

2 hours ago, Pnut said:

I have a gsx750ef that needs some work. I am thinking gsxr 600/750 usd front end. Would it work or would I end up with the handling of a shopping trolley. My original 1985 bike handled sweetly and I don't want to make it worse. If any of you have done this stuff before I would love to hear your experiences. 

you will need to measure the length of your forks from the top to the spindle centre then compare it to the GSXR forks , the later 600/750 forks are a bit on the short side compared to the older RWU forks, the bike might look like its doing a nose dive !!!!   it would steer quicker but could be unstable at high speeds.  the slingshot forks are good for the older bikes if you can find a good set ?????     

• 1 month later...

I put the whole front end from a 97 SRAD 750 on my 85 GSX750ES. The forks are slightly shorter but thats compensated by the 17" front wheel so the overall height of the front is pretty much the same.

Lots of measurements and calculations on paper lead to:

Wheelbase reduced by 10mm

Rake steepened from 27.8 to 27.5 degrees

Trail increased from 105mm to 117mm due to smaller offset on the yokes.

Overal handles very well, dialling in the suspension settings makes a huge difference, much more than the fork swap, IMHO, can go from very stable and heavy to very unstable and flickable. Worth it for the adjustablility and the feel of the front suspension and the brakes are awesome. Tyre choice is so much better as well.

Needs a head bearing swap and the headstock is longer so I am not using the 2nd locking ring below the top yoke. Lockstops needed changing as well.

FB_IMG_1601365840810.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/30/2021 at 1:53 AM, Pnut said:

Yeah, a more modern front end and rear vork does improve handling.

I've got the front end in my GS from a ZXR750, can give you measurements if you want.

Edited by Reinhoud