Back on two wheels - 1980 GSX750e resto

Dillyboy

I originally starting posting this build on an Aussie bike forum I've been on for years - it's pretty much dead these days & I found this great site so thought I'd share my progress so far here.....

Build progress kicks off roughly July 2019:

Well I've finally bitten the bullet and gotten a new (to me) bike after being bikeless for about 8 years :eek:

I'm now the proud owner of a 1980 GSX 750. It's a fixer-upper so it'll be a while until I'm back on the road but it'll be a fun process getting her back up & running.

Here she is in all her glory:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/rVigpHF.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Corx3wg.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/fvZMTHk.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/XgyhdA5.jpg[/img]

The plan is to end up looking something similar to this:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/mWH2h7a.jpg[/img]

Edited by Dillyboy
Added intro text

Was bored this arvo so started pulling off bits.

Light, rear plastics & indicators all gone:

XLQT7zT.jpg

Was considering keeping the tail and going a shorter seat but I think I like the flat brat look better....

qNJ1muJ.jpg

(I've a 53cm seat which I think may be too short - will also get a 63cm one then decide where to cut once I have both....)

My HEL lines arrived so I now have front brakes!!!!

92I46Ua.jpg

QpJDBG5.jpg

• Like 3

Didn't really get much done over Christmas (we put a pool in last October so spent all the spare time swimming :D

The dented yellow tank was annoying me so I thought I'd have a crack at repairing it.

I've never had to bog anything up before so wasn't too sure how she'd come up....

The dents were deeper than I first thought so I had to build it up in layers:

Qxxi7Mv.jpg

m6P03UY.jpg

HmaR2u2.jpg

Not too bad for my first attempt I thought:

d99g9Sj.jpg

I thought it looked ok, so I chucked on a coat of paint to see how she came up:

7Nk3rY3.jpg

It's crazy what paint shows - I'll have to build the side up a bit more:

onG2w5U.jpg

I'm not too sold on the pewter either (think it looks too grey) - will have to go check out colours. I want it silver but not too shiny....

Thought I'd chuck it all back together to see how she all looks

nXcPXS3.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the engine swapped over in the next few weeks - the new motor is black but I'll be having to use my cam & side covers so will decide if the silver & black combo looks ok or if I have to paint them black to match once all in place....

New plan is to just get it all running & registered with the factory seat & panels (so I'll have to re-build the seat too). I figure it's best to get it all running though then do cosmetic upgrades once rideable!!

• Like 2

The pewter didn't work so I primer filled it with the plan to go satin black. The two paints reacted & pulled away from the original yellow (probably something I did wrong :o ) so I decided to strip it all back & start again:

mAY252A.jpg

g4QqZyM.jpg

Vt67MR3.jpg

jUOhLgq.jpg

(found this side had been previously repaired too)

And a test fit:

C4YWvJG.jpg

Have had some dramas with my engine too - the new motor has three of the exhaust valves stuck and the two front bolts cracked on the rocker cover (probably happened in storage).

I'm taking this back to the shop I bought it from though as it was sold to me as a good motor - hopefully I have a win there.....

The annoying thing is the one with the cam caps missing all turns over perfectly!!! (if it wasn't likely to go bang I'd consider just swapping the missing caps over.... :D )

Edited by Dillyboy
fixed images
  • Like 3

So the motor (the new one with the stuck exhaust valves) is back at the mechanic - he sold it to me as a good motor so is going to give it a quick once over, hopefully it's an easy fix....

Painted the tank last night, yes it's not perfect but it's better than yellow and I can do it properly down the track if it bothers me too much:

yPT9jo2.jpg

Jw3NXMt.jpg

Seat pan mould arrived in the post today too!!! 

I was considering being lazy & just using the mould as my seat pan but it'd be a waste to not copy it so I'll make a couple up (and hopefully sell one to cover my costs):

nw4iFBa.jpg

zVNvr0R.jpg

zVNvr0R.jpg

wHEPiWD.jpg

• Like 2

Well that's the story so far pretty much caught up & how she's sat since April - covid kinda put a stall to everything due to me needing to start a new job (place I worked closed down) and my wife being stood down (she works for an airline).

I'm at the point where I need to spend some money with the list of "free" jobs done. .

I'm  now 6 months into the new job & my wife went back to work full time last week so fingers crossed that'll allow some cash to be thrown at the bike & finally get her going....

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Hi and welcome on OSS. 

I recognise this bike from performanceforums.com (i'm a lurker there). You'll find all the info you need here, and much more. 

Ha ha, small world! Yep I've a thread there too (same username too).

Yeah once I get the engine running (hopefully in the next few months) I'll start looking at options for suspension, forks, swingarm etc.....

I actually have an alloy swingarm off an 1100 given to me off a guy from PF. I'll look to fitting it but it has had the brake mount cut off (so need to make something & have it welded on) and source the mounting hardware (as I doubt the nut from my axle will suit)

I'm looking forward to finding a lot of info here & hopefully finally get up & running

The mould was a lucky break.

I was on the hunt for a new seat & they just don't exist over here....

A wrecker had the name of a company who did replica fibreglass parts down in SA. I did some searching & found an old phone number - they guy had retired but said he still had his old moulds in the shed so I grabbed the one I needed.

I'll get a few made & see if a can sell a couple to cover my costs (if it turns out there's enough interest I may buy some more moulds and make a bit of a side business of it)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

if you mean Gammaboy, he's on here too.

Yep, that's him! I bought some calipers off him but unfortunately they were the wrong ones (I'll try and trade them, my original headlight & incorrect starter motor at an upcoming swap meet for parts I need)

• 1 month later...

Slowly buying parts to start on the engine.

The starter arrived form Melbourne on Monday & a generator & reg/rec arrived form the US yesterday.

I'm waiting on a set of coils & a new fuse box to come from Japan & once that gets here I think that'll be enough to start pulling things apart....

Does anyone have a good link for where to get a gasket set from? (they're hard to come by here in Aus & I don't want to buy all the gaskets separately)

Dillyboy, I've got an 81 GS750E that's getting the same treatment.  I've got an 88 GSXR750 front end (not an upside down fork but fully adjustable nonetheless) and since I foolishly tossed the original forks I don't know what the length is supposed to be.  Would you be so kind as to measure from the top of the fork tube to the center of the axle bore of the sliders for me? Thanks.

Bernie

2 hours ago, Bernie said:

Dillyboy, I should have added that the measurement needs to be with the forks fully extended.  Many thanks.  I'll share progress pics later.

Bernie

No worries, I can measure it up for you....

(So by fully extended do you mean front wheel in the air so no weight on the front wheel?)