1200 bandit forks yokes into 1100et .

suzuki11e

Hello,

I am trying to fit a 1200 bandit front end to my gsx 1100et .

The bearing sizes look the same but the  bandit stem seems to long.

Is the answer to have the bandit stem machined down or is there a stem i can press into the bandit bottom yoke.

If its a stem change out what fits and does anybody have one,

Thanks for any help.

12 minutes ago, suzuki11e said:

i was thinking about that. shorten and put a sleeve in side of it.

Does it have the strength ?

Cheers

i bought a gsxr1100 bottom yoke from Germany and when it turned up i could see the weld half way down the shaft, it looked strong enough but it wasn't straight !!!  luckily i didn't need the shaft as i put a bandit one in.  

2 hours ago, suzuki11e said:

Yes   thats another thing it would have to be dead straight.

i suppose with a tight fitted sleeve fitted inside that would straighten it up

yeah might work but sometimes the welding can distort it !!!!  i think it would be safer to get another stem for piece of mind. ;) 

1 hour ago, eightball_hotrod said:

that is the easiest and cheapest way

seen it myself on a german kat meeting and want to do it myself

just did´nt do it because i got the chance of buying a bandit yoke with the conversion for silly cheap money ;)

There is the spacer in the picture, was going to have it done but didnt look right

748AB273-24C3-455E-A77F-1F0A880C843C.jpeg

9 hours ago, suzuki11e said:

Yes   thats another thing it would have to be dead straight.

i suppose with a tight fitted sleeve fitted inside that would straighten it up

Cut your stem to required length. Chamfer both ends. Cut your slug a good length. Make it a tighter fit in the lower part, than the upper. Heat lower stem and press in slug. Tight push fit upper part of stem. Fit lower bearing. Fit to frame with upper bearing, seals/covers/top yoke ect. Hold lower yoke in position, shore up with  bit of timber if needed. Tap top of stem down to required length. Strip down and mark slug and top stem in case it gets knocked and moves. Check marks before welding. If slug is a good length and tight fit, weld shouldn’t pull it out of line. Don’t get it too hot to be on safe side. Dress the weld if you feel it will interfere with lower bearing removal. If it won’t, leave it alone! The spacer below the lower bearing may be a quick/easy fix but, in my opinion it looks crap!

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Cut your stem to required length. Chamfer both ends. Cut your slug a good length. Make it a tighter fit in the lower part, than the upper. Heat lower stem and press in slug. Tight push fit upper part of stem. Fit lower bearing. Fit to frame with upper bearing, seals/covers ect. Hold lower yoke in position, shore up with  bit of timber if needed. Tap top of stem down to required length. Strip down and mark slug and top stem in case it gets knocked and moves. Check marks before welding. If slug is a good length and tight fit, weld shouldn’t pull it out of line. Don’t get it too hot to be on safe side. Dress the weld if you feel it will interfere with lower bearing removal. If it won’t, leave it alone! The spacer below the lower bearing may be a quick/easy fix but, in my opinion it looks crap!

Yes looked crap, was on for 24 hours before being done properly