Oil pump

RollTide

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 9:04 AM, CockneyRick said:

Done it on a GS1000, plan to do it on my EFE when i get to doing the engine.

Got the parts so will eventually have a definitive answer.

Edited by M4N4
Typed for a wrong person
30 minutes ago, M4N4 said:

Specifically from what gsx 750 bike model is the oil pump gear from? Gsx 750 ES?

Yes, what you should be looking at is the same number of total teeth. For instance:

GS1000 Driven gear = 33T  &  Drive gear = 34T  total = 67 teeth.

GS750 driven gear = 29T  &  Drive gear = 38T  total = 67 teeth.

I believe even the GSX400 pump gears are the same as the GS750. As long as the fittings are the same, it just needs to add up to 67 ;)

And really you should be checking GS750, GSX750, GS400, GSX400 etc etc. 

Most people hunt down the GS750 Oil pump gears, but although i've not tried others i'm fairly confident these other bikes could well work too.

There may be someone else out there who has actually tried others & prove me wrong, but as is, i'm willing to source others that are cheaper to find than the GS750 known "upgrade" option.

3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Its not the total number of teeth that is important ! Its the ratio that they give that matters - 34/33=1.03030 but 38/29=1.31034 so the latter turn the pump approx 25% faster - That's the important bit!

Exactly but i was making the point of what fits & that the teeth quantity need to be exactly the same or they'll wreck shit ;) 

2 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

Exactly but i was making the point of what fits & that the teeth quantity need to be exactly the same or they'll wreck shit ;) 

But 50 + 17 = 67 but wouldn't likely fit or work! The number is inconsequential - if the gears were cut on a different pitch but same diameter, the teeth count would be different but ratio could be the same / better / worse. Its the same as final drive chains a 630 and a 530 sprocket could have the same diameter but tooth count would be wildly different giving a different overall ratio.

• 2 years later...

Just to bump this thread:

I just picked up a set of 750 pump gears (38 and 29 tooth respectively ) for £50 from the ‘Bay.

Online breaker had a motor he was splitting and accepted a cheeky offer.

Point of this is- deals are still out there and you don’t need to spend out £250 for two gears.

• Like 4