1100G scavenge pump using OEM oil pump?

TiZiK

Good day gents.  As I near the (somewhat) completion, I'm thinking ahead about scavenge pumps if my drain isn't suffice. 

I know there's electronic ones but I remember seeing a pic of someone using the stock pump. All I could gather was there was a pipe going through the case and looked to be connected to the OEM pump. See attached pic

Anyone see or know of this and can shed some Insight?

I'd like to explore this option if it's viable.

Turbo is a Holset HY 35. I have a very large drain but think the line angle might give issues. Not fully running yet so don't know. Just thinking\planning ahead

Screenshot_20210120-191830_Gallery.jpg

On 1/21/2021 at 12:28 AM, Captain Chaos said:

What if the oil pump draws air from the turbo instead of oil?

Good point!  I just saw this picture and was wondering about it and if it was feasible.

On 1/21/2021 at 2:02 AM, Maggotbreath said:

Facet electric or crank driven Emtes style pump would be better.  What your looking at is very old, probably early 90s, needs reed valve behind the screen to work. imho, nfg and dated.

I do have a Facet Electric pump on hand already.  Guess Ill get the appropriate fittings to plumb it in if needed.  

Thanks chaps.

On 22/01/2021 at 3:17 PM, Fredrik_Steen said:

How big is "very large drain"

Look at the hole in the turbo, are you matching that?

Turbo leaks oil after rebuild. Why? - YouTube

Oil restrictor on the feed line you can look into

I've watched a few of his videos but especially this one. 

I'm using AN -12 line. It's really close to the 19mm drain size on the Holset.  Made my own mounting flange and port matched it the chra.

What Ive never understood with these pumps is how you get around the fact they are constantly changing the volume they are scavenging. Turbo is getting a relatively steady flow of oil through it and needs a pretty constant rate of scavenge. 

These vary massively with rpm, way I see it thats not going to work properly either at lower rpms or higher, either not scavenging fast enough or too much and sucking turbo dry.

Realise loads of people run them but personally I will stick with a simple electric facet pump

3 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

What Ive never understood with these pumps is how you get around the fact they are constantly changing the volume they are scavenging. Turbo is getting a relatively steady flow of oil through it and needs a pretty constant rate of scavenge. 

These vary massively with rpm, way I see it thats not going to work properly either at lower rpms or higher, either not scavenging fast enough or too much and sucking turbo dry.

Realise loads of people run them but personally I will stick with a simple electric facet pump

Not run my one yet but isn't that the idea of the catch tank to overcome that. But then the little pump could run dry, have read its a good idea to run the little pump with a brass bearing for this reason. 

31 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

Won't an electric pump suffer equally for scavenging to fast as it is running 'flat out' all the time which isn't what is needed at idle for example. I have no preference although prefer the mechanical 'always running' pump over an electrical device, having other electrical pumps die when used in less severe situations.

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

Won't an electric pump suffer equally for scavenging to fast as it is running 'flat out' all the time which isn't what is needed at idle for example. I have no preference although prefer the mechanical 'always running' pump over an electrical device, having other electrical pumps die when used in less severe situations.

Electric pump doesnt have flat out, just on or off, exactly what its designed to do.

Engine rpm is largely irrelevant, turbo gets pretty much the same oil flow through it all the time, just a case of matching your oil in to what the pump is taking away. Imo thats easier to do when your not having to deal with constantly varying pump speeds

• Like 1
17 hours ago, MeanBean49 said:

Electric pump doesnt have flat out, just on or off, exactly what its designed to do.

Engine rpm is largely irrelevant, turbo gets pretty much the same oil flow through it all the time, just a case of matching your oil in to what the pump is taking away. Imo thats easier to do when your not having to deal with constantly varying pump speeds

So you are constantly turning it on / off whilst riding?  And i've never come across a speed regulated pump - Facet or similar - without outside control hence my 'flat out comment - they pump at one speed, all or nothing!

18 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

So you are constantly turning it on / off whilst riding?  And i've never come across a speed regulated pump - Facet or similar - without outside control hence my 'flat out comment - they pump at one speed, all or nothing!

Why would I be constantly turning it off and on, i have a pretty constant feed to my turbo with a matched constant scavenge.

Electric pump loke I use only have one speed, ON, thats its design, and its,warranted to operate in its on condition, your implying "flat out" running isxin some way goimg to affect its reliability, it doesnt, its just working as intended. Much like electric pumps used in billions of applications the world over

You need a catch can with a ventilation hose on top.

I did this test last night. Retur oil i a coke bottle and the scavange feed. Then you will know if you scavange enough oil. Anyone that can guess what the third hose are? =)

Retur oil Turbo - YouTube

(2500rpm on the movie)

I´m running a very small ristriktor on my ball bearing turbo. You will see a increase on flow when you rev the engine.

On a journal turbo and no ristriktor you will see a LOT of flow. ( I think it can hurt the engine when you take so mutch oil frome the main oil gallery)

1891325_778220465539078_1939890948_o.jpg

11080791_1014455951915527_6424870657197621357_o.jpg

1891325_778220465539078_1939890948_oaaaa.jpg

11080791_1014455951915527_6424870657197621357_oaaa.jpg

On 1/21/2021 at 1:21 AM, TiZiK said:

Good day gents.  As I near the (somewhat) completion, I'm thinking ahead about scavenge pumps if my drain isn't suffice. 

I know there's electronic ones but I remember seeing a pic of someone using the stock pump. All I could gather was there was a pipe going through the case and looked to be connected to the OEM pump. See attached pic

Anyone see or know of this and can shed some Insight?

I'd like to explore this option if it's viable.

Turbo is a Holset HY 35. I have a very large drain but think the line angle might give issues. Not fully running yet so don't know. Just thinking\planning ahead

Screenshot_20210120-191830_Gallery.jpg

I used a set up like this on my first turbo build. You blok the oilintake with a piece of feathersteel. When the oilpump sucks it wil create a vacuüm above wich will suck the oil from your turbo. 

You will need a flapvalve one way to prevent oil from draining back.

The thickness of the Steel is very delicate you need thick enough to create vacuüm and not to thick so your engine doesnt get enough oil.

I used the example from Joe Hailes book.

It worked for me very very good but i wouldnt recomend it cause its a Bitch to get it working properly.

So yes just buy a crankdriven scavengepump i used one on other builds much easier and safe.

• Like 1