GS1000 stock wheel size, gear ratio

Reinhoud

Gents,

Not a problem, just curious.

About 13 years ago I modified my GS1000, I put other wheels in it, both 17", and I think I kept the stock gear ratio, but after rebuild it felt like it had more like a close ratio gear box, and the top speeds throughout the gears were lower. Rides pretty nice, but now with the big bore I always want to shift another gear up ;)

I just assumed I had put a smaller rear wheel in it, and that caused it. 

But I looked up some specs from the GS1000, and that said the stock rear wheel size is 17", if that's correct then my bike should have the same properties as before the modifications.

I did have an old Marshall exhaust on it before, not the trumpet, but the one with a 7cm diameter can, sounded VERY nice, raw, bike went like a rocket on it.

But that exhaust was unfortunally rusted through and couldn't find a similar one, so I put a Marving Racing on it, not exactly a high performance exhaust.

An exhaust can't give the feeling of a close ratio gearbox, can it?

Does anyone know the stock sprocket size from the GS1000?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

it's not just the rim size but also the tyre size that matters.

GS1000 has 130/90-17 rear wheel IIRC, let's assume you now have a 180/55-17 in it.

90%*130 = 117mm

55%*180 = 99mm

so there you have it. New tyre has an 18mm smaller radius.

I'm aware of that, but I thought that the tyre I have on was higher as the stock GS tyre, for some reason I thought that the GS had a 18" rear wheel..