Newby from down under with a GS1200SS waiting

Grunt33

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy. Also from downunder here with a GS1200SS that I've only had 2 weeks. I am from the other side of the Tasman, so I am nearer to your bike right now than you are? They are a great scoot, oddly comfy due to a great "rider triangle" (bars-seat-pegs), and a handy screen. They are also pretty torquey-ish yet keen revving. Kiwis are either really good at looking after their bikes or rrrreeeeaaaallllyy shit - I say that with love, I've been here 10 years and I'm an ex-Pom and found things like service history record keeping in NZ is woeful.

Most are 180kph restricted. Mine has some weird switch thing that allows it the full rpm in all gears. Along with leaky carbs, an aftermarket pipe and K&N filter without any carb adjustment and a ride that is super hot, idles fast and runs really lean. Just dyno'd it and the AFR on the chart only goes upto 18:1 and it's way above it....things like the chain being slack, 6 pot brakes needing a caliper rebuild, crack in the plastics and screen not fixed, an aftermarket fuel tap for some reason.... Yeah my to-do list is long and I am going to spend some money on putting stuff right so it runs as it should.

She's a toughie though. Next week she goes on the dyno again for some carb needle/jet swapping to get it down near 13/14:1 ish. Even at waaaay over 18:1 (it could be peaking at 25:1 in places!!) and not running right in standard trim (other than the exhaust) it still pulls 101.7bhp on the rear wheel. Which ain't bad for a mostly aircooled 2003 model in 2021.