Heavy clutch

Brian foord

I tried a hydraulic conversion (expensive one from Venhill) and it made Jack Shit difference to the heavy clutch on my efe engined bike. What did make a difference was realising I had heavy duty clutch springs and then changing 3 to OEM. Many OSS bikes have had the clutches and springs buggered about with over the years (same goes for the rest of the bikeO.o) and often we don't know exactly which bits are where. I would start with making sure your springs are OEM, your cable is correctly routed and lubricated, and the lever assembly is in good shape and isn't worn about the pivot. Then if it's still too heavy go from there.

• Like 4

In this situation I would convert all clutch springs back to OEM and then look at some of the  leverage assist devices suggested.   I've had respected builders tell me that's all they use.  

My modern bikes have fairly easy pull but once your hands start to develop carpel tunnel type issues it can still be a problem.   The angel of the clutch lever can make a difference.  The pads/rivets in the heel of my Held gloves was causing me issues related to opening and closing my grip.  Clip ons add weight to your wrists as well. 

Really modern bikes with auto up and down shift make me drool.  

Hi  

GSX 1100E

3 x OEM  3 x  HD springs and U have no broken fingers

I had the problem that my clutch in 4th and 5th slipped a bit  , I changed 3  OEM with new ones and  add 3 HD springs , plus new pads,  and it  works.

What makes the clutch more common is if you equalize the grooves in the inner basket a bit, they are usually run in.

I was already thinking about hydraulic conversion.  does anyone have any experience with these aftermarket adapters ?

How much better is  laying of the cable in the, called "Pussy Position"  ( https://www.suzukiperformancespares.co.uk/product/ape-suzuki-forward-clutch-cable-kit/650/ )   ?  

Cheers

Uli

18 hours ago, Dezza said:

I tried a hydraulic conversion (expensive one from Venhill) and it made Jack Shit difference to the heavy clutch on my efe engined bike. What did make a difference was realising I had heavy duty clutch springs and then changing 3 to OEM. Many OSS bikes have had the clutches and springs buggered about with over the years (same goes for the rest of the bikeO.o) and often we don't know exactly which bits are where. I would start with making sure your springs are OEM, your cable is correctly routed and lubricated, and the lever assembly is in good shape and isn't worn about the pivot. Then if it's still too heavy go from there.

i would add that using the correct clutch lever and perch makes a big difference  a longer cable "faired efe is longest" can also help dept on what handlebars your using ...

Edited by Duckndive

Just to add to everything previously mentioned to do and,

-a new clutch cable would be good too,

-on the 2000 final edition model Katana they had an electric assist clutch setup, this item pops up on Japan Yahoo.

Here it is on the FE Kat where the coils go

clutch.thumb.jpg.b3f4187aa45379c91adb64ace5349012.jpg

and the coils go here

coil.thumb.jpg.edab8c310e16e4d325b490e4a9703634.jpg

Edited by GSX1100dreamn
added info
37 minutes ago, GSX1100dreamn said:

Just to add to everything previously mentioned to do and,

-a new clutch cable would be good too,

-on the 2000 final edition model Katana they had an electric assist clutch setup, this item pops up on Japan Yahoo.

Here it is on the FE Kat where the coils go

clutch.thumb.jpg.b3f4187aa45379c91adb64ace5349012.jpg

and the coils go here

coil.thumb.jpg.edab8c310e16e4d325b490e4a9703634.jpg

Interesting: if the servo goes tits-up, can the clutch still be disengaged?

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, HUM said:

Hi

it is looking similar like this

861800268_ClutchcablePussy.thumb.jpg.b422a1fb0098907d5f88dff30923f7cf.jpg

grafik.png.1d1be7aa191f94f5fbd815ce328e15a9.png

Cheers 

Uli

I have just made a bracket similar to this but it was more complicated as I have a breather coming from the oil filler hole. I used a standard length 1100et cable & I can confirm the pull is much lighter even with hd springs fitted. Next step is to fit 3 oe springs. 

On 12/28/2020 at 6:40 PM, Brian foord said:

Unfortunately I may have to sell my newly built katana 1100 due to the clutch being so heavy I can’t pull it in more than 6 times will my bad fingers.  it is so heavy it almost needs two hands. I really don’t want to part with it so do you guys have any ideas? 

How old is the clutch cable ?