sidestand switch removal

philwright

10 hours ago, Toddy64 said:

If I recall, as it was about 20yrs ago, so I could be wrong, I removed mine on my K, chased the two wires to the connector block and joined them together?

Cant find the specific thread on here , just had a good search, but looking on other sites and googling it just seems a case of tracking the 2 wires to the harness ,disconnecting and joining the 2 harness side wires together...i'll try it later.

11 hours ago, Buzuki said:

Don`t do that since is extremely dangerous to ride  that fast bike with forgoten sidestand lever in open position since there was no  sidestand switch to cut engine off when 1`st gear was engaged !!! , just replace that sticking switch with absolute good one .

Ya Pussy! LOL - Chick dig scars!

Where switch joins main loom - just bridge the contacts job done.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, wraith said:

If you need a side stand or clutch cut out switch, to stop you from dropping your bike, I think the rides skills need some looking at as well as the bike xD

You'll only do it once and then you will remember next time. We would hope :D

Just don't turn left !xDxD

• Like 2

When was the last time peeps on here either: i) rode off (or tried to) with their sidestand down or ii) started their bike when it was still in gear and the clutch still engaged? If the general answer is: 'eerrrr, when there were only 3 (or 4) channels on the telly,' then no switches needed:)

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, philwright said:

Job done, traced the wires ,disconnected and joined the 2 wires together with bullet connectors ,shrink wrapped and jobs a good'n....just waiting for some dry roads so i can ride it without getting it covered in road shit.:)

That will be in about 3-4 months time then xD

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Shakey225 said:

Am I right in thinking the two joined wires would then need to be grounded? (I'm doing this on a recently acquires 750ES, haven't had a chance to say hello yet but will do so on a new thread ;) )

no just connect them together on the harness. 

20 hours ago, TonyGee said:

no just connect them together on the harness. 

Thanks TonyGee. I tried that this morning and all went well with the bike up on the centre stand. However when I take it off the main stand and it's on its wheels, the bike cuts out when I put it in gear and the s/stand light comes on ?!? 

Any thoughts anyone?

3 hours ago, Shakey225 said:

Thanks TonyGee. I tried that this morning and all went well with the bike up on the centre stand. However when I take it off the main stand and it's on its wheels, the bike cuts out when I put it in gear and the s/stand light comes on ?!? 

Any thoughts anyone?

Make sure you have connected the two wires on the Harness side and not the stand side of the junction , sounds like your switch is still live.

3 hours ago, Shakey225 said:

Any thoughts anyone?

probably not related but worth a check,  i had the same problem with my B12 cutting out when i put it in gear, i traced the problem to a bad earth. the bandit has a small earth wire that branches off from the main battery earth, it has a spade connector that was corroded once cleaned up all was well in the world. worth checking all your earths anyway just for piece of mind. :tu 

1 hour ago, Blubber said:

The way you type it... sounds to me like the side stand switch is still active.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The switch itself is no longer there, just the cut wires behind the clutch cover.

53 minutes ago, philwright said:

Make sure you have connected the two wires on the Harness side and not the stand side of the junction , sounds like your switch is still live.

I'll double check that.

54 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

probably not related but worth a check,  i had the same problem with my B12 cutting out when i put it in gear, i traced the problem to a bad earth. the bandit has a small earth wire that branches off from the main battery earth, it has a spade connector that was corroded once cleaned up all was well in the world. worth checking all your earths anyway just for piece of mind. :tu 

Good shout, I'll check that too.

35 minutes ago, Shakey225 said:

Is there also a clutch safety switch? I don't remember one (but it is 30 years since I last owned one of these :) ) and the wiring diagram in the online manual I found (via a thread on here) doesn't show one...

if theirs a switch and wires going to the clutch lever then it has a switch and needs bypassing. 

• Like 1