DOT heads - variation among models?

Dezza

Many thanks for the replies. Does anyone have any direct experience of the angle the carbs sit when mounted on the head re: teapot DOT v 750 slingshot DOT? It is common knowledge the slingshot DOT mounts the carbs at a slightly different angle to non-DOT oil cooled heads but I was wondering if it's the same with the teapot DOT.

I can't remember that the carbs are sigificantly more angled on a DOT head, only that the inlets are placed appr. 15 mm higher than other heads. 

I have a bunch, but I am not sure where (too many garages ... :)). I'll see if I can find some and take some photos and measurements. 

Edited by Nik

I found when I first started building the gsx1157et (b12 motor) that the tank stat in the right place with the standard b12 head but when I fitted the gsxf dot head the carb top where just hitting the tank by APX 5-10mm ish (didn't Messer it) also I was using gsxr750 38mm carbs and rubbers, don't know if that makes a difference.

Ps, FBB maybe the man to ask as he's done one or two head jobs 

Edited by wraith
Add a bit
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, wraith said:

I found when I first started building the gsx1157et (b12 motor) that the tank stat in the right place with the standard b12 head but when I fitted the gsxf dot head the carb top where just hitting the tank by APX 5-10mm ish (didn't Messer it) also I was using gsxr750 38mm carbs and rubbers, don't know if that makes a difference.

Ps, FBB maybe the man to ask as he's done one or two head jobs 

Yep, that was what I was thinking in regards to buying your teapot 750 DOT head or not.:) I will have a spare Blandit 12 engine to go in a slabby 750 frame as my next  project, (probably to be completed c2030...). I also have some BST 38s to go on it, which as you know are 'tall' compared with other carbs (including RSs) so getting all this in a 750 frame may be a bit of a push, although I will be modifying the stock slabby 750 tank I have regardless.

• Like 1

Looks like the 1100 slabby frame gives more clearance than 750 slabby frame. I am looking at cam cover to frame spar clearance here. The BST 38s are definitely taller than the 36s from a Blandit 12 so they wouldn't go on with those rubbers by the look of things. I have the rubbers from a 750L and they bring the carbs very close to the head so they may well just about squeeze in.

Formidable! The Creme de la Menthe of informative posts:) This is a 750 teapot DOT head but my guess is 750 j/k DOT heads are much of a muchness but a direct comparison would be mightily interesting:) Could you please add the pic to the sticky topic (sounds like a 70s chocolate bar) on carb compatability at the top of the oilcooled section. Otherwise after a while this pic will only be easily retrievable after a search.

Edited by Dezza
3 hours ago, Dezza said:

Looks like the 1100 slabby frame gives more clearance than 750 slabby frame. I am looking at cam cover to frame spar clearance here. The BST 38s are definitely taller than the 36s from a Blandit 12 so they wouldn't go on with those rubbers by the look of things. I have the rubbers from a 750L and they bring the carbs very close to the head so they may well just about squeeze in.

Due to the 1100 engine being taller than a 750 engine ....

I was told the Slabby 750 frame being the lightest made it the ideal base for a 7/11 even though removing the cam cover is a challenge  

• Like 1

That aspect of the cam cover is not a problem to me; I have been a Harris Magnum 2 owner for 33 years and the engine has to come out to do the valve clearances.

I shall add some of these pics and info to the carb sticky thread along with a new table when I can be arsed. Thanks to all for the help(y)

• Like 1