question

mrutah12

Hello everyone I was wondering if somebody can help me Identify what motor I have I need to find a good set of used cases because were the starter idler gear is it broke  its suppose to be an 83 gs1100e but I'm not sure . this what i know it has the rectangle end caps, its chain drive and the first part of the engine code is GS1100x i will attach a picture of the engine code any help would greatly be appreciated

20200918_212414.jpg

As you are in the 'States you stand a better canch of finding some cases cheap enough to make it worthwhile - here in Europe the cost + all the gaskets and bearings mean £150 would be a cheap repair. Really just replacing cases doesn't pay off as crank bearings unlikely to match so you get a set of cases with a crank but then the rod bearings could be different so there is more cost - just easier to buy a whole bottom end then costs become marginal ! Surely in Utah there are engineering shops with all the agriculture that does on - widen your search? If it was me, i'd stick the pin in, weld round it good and build it up, take pin out and counter bore it to take a steel sleeve and needle roller bearing as a good fix!

T

49 minutes ago, GSX1100dreamn said:

I also like to ask the question,

We can see the problem but what was the cause so as to stop it happening again and in this case twice ?

Cheers.

I'm going to guess starter clutch kick back. 

There are at least several solutions.  Retard the timing during start with a programmable ignition , retard the ignition with a mechanical lever,  use a system to shut off spark till the motor is turning at a good rate.