Doing some turbo build research, best/easiest engine to use

I'm planning on hopefully trying to build a turbo bike for my next build but after reading through this section on the forum there's a lot to learn and figure out, 

I thought I'd start with the basics on what engine is best to use? I've read that some need welded cranks, forged pistons and different oil pump gears,

I don't have loads to spend on the build unfortunately so I want to ask what engine would be best to go for that would need minimal modifications? I don't want mega bhp as I'm not doing it for that, I'm just looking for the challenge and having a little fun at the end of the build actually works lol

From what I've read below 200bhp seems to be on the lower end compared to some of your guys bikes. 

I'm thinking a bandit 1200 maybe?

I want it to be safe too and not worry that something might go bang so if the engine modifications are needed then I will do them.

I do have two 750 engines but I'm guessing they would be no good and not strong enough for a turbo

Bandit is an obvious choice - cheap, reliable and suited for forced induction although some mods are required. Although some people have run low boost with std. pistons its not a given they will survive - easiest option is mk1 Busa pistons that take engine out to 1216 and with a little piston prep make good turbo pistons. Other than that a good working set of 36mm carbs will suit - don't buy cos they are cheap as you'll be forever rebuilding them and chasing problems. A good programmable ignition is useful but not essential. Allow £1k if you have an engine, £1500+ if you don't. You'll maybe spend more!

Cheers guys I appreciate the advice, I'm tempted to just try and get a whole bandit donors bike and then maybe sell off what I don't need then try and put the bits onto a gsxr frame, would you guys recommend a carb set up or go injection? I think I'd rather stay cards if I can. 

Also I see people mentioning about intercoolers? Is that a separate rad maybe for the turbo oil circuit?

Cheers clivegto, I know there's a lot of work involved in a project like this but roughly the things and parts I'd need would be...

Bandit 12 engine with Bandit 12 carbs.

Turbo parts

Scaveng pump

Lock up clutch 

Fuel pump

And obviously the bike lol. 

Do I need any sort of extra electronics or ecu? Or just standard b12.

Is there anything I've missed other than a lot of time and effort lol

I see what you mean 1460 I guess you need a base point to work from, i looked further and found that the wide band sensors actually come with their own independent reader so that gives me the answers I needed lol, I thought it was something that plugs into the bike wiring loom like in cars so that was my dummy mistake, I will definitely want one of these then as it'll give you a good idea and what the mix is like. 

I also found out now what 14:1 means lol.