Suzuki GS 750 - Chain conversion

Hariii

Hey guys, 

i have a little problem with me recent purchase, a GS 750. Turns out the previous owner changed the front sprocket from 15 to 14 and rear sprocket from 41 to 43. The purchase also included a new chain, a 530 ZRT - 114.  After consultating Greg (alias Nanno), we came to the conclusion that this type of chain should work.

My problem now is, that it simply does not. If i put the chain on the front sprocket it fits nicely, but i can't turn the sprocket. Something seems to be in the way and i have no idea what. 

Can anyone may enlighten me? Any help would be really appreciated...Damn thing makes me crazy

Cheers

Dose the sprocket turn freely without the chain fitted?

In the pic and when trying to turn the sprocket, is the chain on the rear sprocket?

Also, as you have fitted a slimmer sprocket the sprocket but seems to be a long way out/not on the shaft fully?

Edited by wraith
Add a bit
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

I'm guessing / hoping that the piece #37 is present and correct?

55.gif

As the original chain would have been a 630 - there should be acres of space for a 530!

Yes, i checked for the parts and everything is there, where it should be. Even checked the dimensions of the spacer (Nr. 37)

2 minutes ago, wraith said:

Dose the sprocket turn freely without the chain fitted?

In the pic and when trying to turn the sprocket, is the chain on the rear sprocket?

Yes, without any problems. And no, the rear sprocket isn't mounted at the moment. 

What i can say is, that it seems the chain is hitting against the inner casis the left middle point. Maybe it is the 530 sprocket? Thinking about ordering the original set up. 

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Hariii said:

Where did you get this picture? Cause in the official work manual from the GS 750 this part is not listed! Doublechecked that.

I guessed on the model being a later variant due to the weird clutch operation pushrod in your picture - the GS750 spanned about 8 years and several variants - quoting an age / year helps! All parts fiches are from Alpha Sports and are very useful!

Just my tuppence worth as i am doing similar on my 78 gs750.

can you fully turn the sprocket without the chain on or only part of a full turn ??, also what year is the bike as it looks very similar to mine with the pushrod in the same place, but the sprocket nut does not look right, the standard nut is quite slim and there is about 5mm of thread that sticks out after the tab washer is fitted and the nut tightened.

Maybe it is the nut that is catching ???, try taking it of and see what happens

Hope this helps

Mouse

Got the information that you can't use a 530 conversion on a Suzuki GS 750. It's an earlier model with spoke rims.

Yesterday i removed the front Sprocket and inspected everything. According to cmsnl and the manual book, everything seems to be right. After that i put loosely evertyhing back together. By doing that, i noticed some possible extra space. 

20201127_110639.thumb.jpg.8b74c20cea0bb3d89adfbef29db73d5e.jpg

Then I pushed the sprocket aginst the nut and tried to turn the chain again. This time it worked. 

Conclusion: you either need a 640 conversion kit or an additional space ring ( maybe 1-3mm?). Hard to guess...

Nevertheless, i already ordered the original set up. :)

Edited by Hariii
Spelling errors
2 hours ago, Dezza said:

This is a great word:). 60s  prog rock band, heavily influenced by Norwegian troll myths.

Indeed quite a nice word. Re-read the post from yesterday and corrected some other spelling errors. Forgive me for my poor use of the language, but unfortunately, i was never good at learning different languages. Although i read quite a lot english literature...

3 hours ago, Hariii said:

20201127_110639.thumb.jpg.8b74c20cea0bb3d89adfbef29db73d5e.jpg

They say a picture paints a thousand words! The 630 sprocket is / will be a bigger diameter and as such the side plates would be above the bearing housing casting, also the 630 is a wider chain so its centreline is further outboard than the 530. A simple spacer added to the extg. spacer or better a new longer spacer would correct the centreline issue and also give clearance to the 530 side plates to the bearing housing casting. Buying a whole 630 C&S kit is a bit extreme for something solvable with some thick washers IMO!

Edited by Gixer1460
9 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

They say a picture paints a thousand words! The 630 sprocket is / will be a bigger diameter and as such the side plates would be above the bearing housing casting, also the 630 is a wider chain so its centreline is further outboard than the 530. A simple spacer added to the extg. spacer or better a new longer spacer would correct the centreline issue and also give clearance to the 530 side plates to the bearing housing casting. Buying a whole 630 C&S kit is a bit extreme for something solvable with some thick washers IMO!

Yeah, thought about the too. But i want to make sure that i have something that really fits and and maybe i will use the left over conversion kit for a later time.  I also can compare the front and rear sprockets and take some measurements, which will help to make the 530 kit truly fit.  And it is not like the 530er kit is going to waste away. By owing now two GS 750s, sooner or later i will need a new chain ;)