gsx1100 engines

TonyGee

20 minutes ago, clivegto said:

I bought a 1100efe motor recently for £650, though that wasn't too expensive as I have seen cranks for sale at £500. I know someone who got a gs1000 motor recently for less than 1/2 that. There are still bargains out there there just not that easy to find. 

gona have to sell some of the kids and start saving up for one ;)

1 hour ago, TonyGee said:

ha ha yeah theirs 7 of em :(

sell them in parts......

if we are still talking about bikes. If your "kids" are the biological types... ignore my first suggestion. Dont want to come over all Jason Voorhees from the movie Friday the 13th ;)

Edited by Blubber
Clarification

I've got a tuned  1216 B12 engine ( 150bhp) in my slabby race bike and its great.

I have a  mildly tuned 1230 EFE (130bhp) motor in my Katana and it is also great.

The air-cooled motor has more low down torque but they are both great engines.

Once upon a time it was cheaper to get an oil cooled engine than to rebuild an air cooled motor but that is no longer true.

Finding a cheap oil boiler that doesn't need a refresh is getting rare. They are now fetching the same money as AC motors too. Rebuilding an OC to a decent standard isn't any cheaper than an AC rebuild either.

The only advantage might be that you'll get a bit more out of an OC motor with a standard crank and clutch than you will with an AC in similar standard bottom end trim.

• Like 1

I had no idea the 1100 was in short supply, I came across one last year summer that I could've picked up for a couple hundred . In hindsight I should've bought it as I recall four years ago I two offers over $1k for my engine when it still had two broken plugs still frozen in the head and hadn't run in 25-30 years.

Rebuilt head, RS36 mikuni's and headers it has amazing mid range torque and an exceptional tuner, my mechanic figures 130 rear wheel hp.  With with an overbore he estimates it'll be somewhere around 140-145hp at the rear. I'll definitely need to upgrade the clutch.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:10 PM, no class said:

..... great engine !   aside from the poor oil pressure , stator output , poor clutch basket , starter clutch issues ......and a few other issues but who’s counting

although to be fair, they dont have poor oil pressure, they have low oil pressure, but they only have that because thats all they need, i think time has proven that the low oil pressure isnt really a reliability issue.
poor stator output on gsx's is a bit of an urban myth, the problems with reliability of the charging system were due to the design of the charging circuit using a phase that was switched by the headlight. bikes run with the lights always on had fewer charging problems because all three phases were working the same, and bikes with the reg rec wired directly to all three alt phases were equally untroubled.. the loom was the problem, not the stator, clutches suffered because these engines took so much abuse that eventually something had to give. starter motors, well, theyre a consumable, you might as well say spark plugs werent great..... ;-)

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, johnr said:

although to be fair, they dont have poor oil pressure, they have low oil pressure, but they only have that because thats all they need, i think time has proven that the low oil pressure isnt really a reliability issue.
poor stator output on gsx's is a bit of an urban myth, the problems with reliability of the charging system were due to the design of the charging circuit using a phase that was switched by the headlight. bikes run with the lights always on had fewer charging problems because all three phases were working the same, and bikes with the reg rec wired directly to all three alt phases were equally untroubled.. the loom was the problem, not the stator, clutches suffered because these engines took so much abuse that eventually something had to give. starter motors, well, theyre a consumable, you might as well say spark plugs werent great..... ;-)

agree John, :tu   yeah one of the things i did on the 750 was sort out the bodged wiring and do away with the light loop, its still running an original oem R/R  and it still charges perfect (for now)  the old motors where over engineered which makes them last, the engine in mine is so quiet for a 40 year old not like my 1200 bandit engine.  

• Like 1