gsx1100 engines

TonyGee

I would guess?

Worn out and/or if you're just want more power the oil cooled has more standard then the gsx motor and you'd have to spend a lot of tuning to get it upto a oil cooled motor output. If you spend the same amount on the oil cooled you'd be up to around 150 bhp.

Like I say, this is if you're looking for just more power.

Plus as you know trying to get any of the big air cooled motors is hard to find and if you do find one they are ever fucked and need a complete strip and rebuild or they cost, well just think of a big numbers.

When I was starting the build on my kat (750 jap import) I'd like to of put a air cooled 1100 motor in it but they where hard to get and the ones that where about where about £600 for a unknown motor, where as I got a good gsx1100f for less than £300.

Edited by wraith
Add a bit

yeah i hear what you say wraith its all about the cost,  i keep looking for an 1100 motor but they just don't come up !!   back in the mid 80's i built a hardtail chop and put in a big bore 1100 (1260) motor.  as you can imagine it was a lot of engine for a chop O.o but a guy i know who drag raced heard about my bike and he come round and offered me £800 for the engine !!!! a lot of dosh back then.  yeah i did sell him it and i bought a really clean Z1000 engine for £400 :tu  

it can cost a lot of cash to tune a stock aircooled 1100 motor to the same output as a stock gsxr or bandit motor output, and with the oilcooled motor, youve less weight as well as the option to tune that for even more. if you wigh up the cost of crank work, head and cams, pistons and bores, cluutch upgrades and gearbox refurb on an aircooled lump, you could probably buy 3 bandit motors!

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Joseph said:

I agree that it's only for the OE output of the oil cooled that you would use them (and the pub talk topic of saying you have a drag engine in your grandmas bike). Its a hassle to do, a lot of things need addressing.

yeah theirs a bit of work transplanting an engine from one bike to another,  i put a bandit engine in an old Z1000 frame. (y) 

Suzuki quote the power output of a stock 1100 EFE engine as higher than that of an 1100 slabside or 1200 Blandit so it's not always about max hp numbers. The power delivery of the aircooled lump is 'intoxicating' , especially the mid-range. Try finding a good one though or even a knackered one now without having to buy a whole bike.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Dezza said:

Suzuki quote the power output of a stock 1100 EFE engine as higher than that of an 1100 slabside or 1200 Blandit so it's not always about max hp numbers. The power delivery of the aircooled lump is 'intoxicating' , especially the mid-range. Try finding a good one though or even a knackered one now without having to buy a whole bike.

yeah thats what im after,  not arsed about doing 150 plus mph i just like shit loads of torque ;)  but as you say getting a good gsx1100 engine is gona be hard.     

1 hour ago, Dezza said:

I have a great one on the shelf just had a deep service with all gaskets and seals done 

1 hour ago, TonyGee said:

ha ha, that good eh.  you could use the 750 oil pump :tu

You need the oil pump gears as well ;)

I'm lucky, I have the Kat with a 1127 in it, the ET with a b12 in it and the gs1000 board to 1100cc, not as fast as the Kat or ET but grate fun to ride. Got to agree with @Dezza  the air cooled motors just put the power down in so much of a different way and until you have riden both big bikes you just won't understand :D

23 minutes ago, wraith said:

You need the oil pump gears as well ;)

I'm lucky, I have the Kat with a 1127 in it, the ET with a b12 in it and the gs1000 board to 1100cc, not as fast as the Kat or ET but grate fun to ride. Got to agree with @Dezza  the air cooled motors just put the power down in so much of a different way and until you have riden both big bikes you just won't understand :D

oh i understand wraith, ive ridden a few gsx1100's and owned a bike with a 1260 big bore in it,  ive also ridden countless 1200 bandits and gsxr1100's  (owned both)  i love the oil cooled engine as its one of the best engines suzuki ever built but i think a gsx looks really cool with the air cooled engine in it. 

this was my mad gsxr1100 i built, tried to kill me many times :|  

003.JPG

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Dezza said:

yeah, but you could buy 2 oilcooled engine for the cost of an efe engine and thats if you can find one.

On 11/23/2020 at 10:23 PM, TonyGee said:

looking through some of the posts and projects i see some who change the gsx1100 motors for the oil boilers,  i can understand with a 750 but the 11's are quit tuneable. i know the gsx is a very heavy engine but what other reasons do they get changed ?    

Because most people are fannies.

• Like 2