hole in side of petrol tank ,not possible to weld or solder

katana11

folks i made a 1.5mm dia hole with a tapered tap in the lower side of the fuel tank, you can see by the picture, its on my freshly painted efe ,(jack ass) iss my name for the moment lol

Anyways i was thinking of gett an epoxy resin to fill the hole and then i was going to line the tank  the hole is about 1.5mm dia,but issue is that the outside plate is tapped to allow the strap to be bolted to the tank so room is tight , might be able to get a 3mm bar and put a resion on the end of it and see can i fill the hole, then i was going to seal the tank with a good sealer 

what are your thoughts apart from calling me a jackass , 

efe tank.jpg

Edited by katana11
more info

How are the plates fixed to the tank??....Looking at mine they seem to be spot welded on.

It may seem slightly drastic but you could drill out the spot welds on the plate and then you could get to the hole behind it and weld it permanently obviously making sure the localised area is protected from heat.Then you could weld the plate back on top.Using TIG would keep heat down to a minimum and create no harmful spatter.

It's a permanent fix but not without it's risks.

18 hours ago, Sheep said:

How are the plates fixed to the tank??....Looking at mine they seem to be spot welded on.

It may seem slightly drastic but you could drill out the spot welds on the plate and then you could get to the hole behind it and weld it permanently obviously making sure the localised area is protected from heat.Then you could weld the plate back on top.Using TIG would keep heat down to a minimum and create no harmful spatter.

It's a permanent fix but not without it's risks.

cant drill out mate its sitting against the tank the only option i have is to fill the hole and seal the tank with thick tank sealer

11 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Once i repaired a fuel tank with a bit of soap. Soap becomes hard when in contact with petrol. 
Was 10 years ago though, maybe fuel is different nowadays with ethanol and shit. 

Soap used to be good for a temporary repair to get you home

SORTED FOLKS, 

First i cleaned the tank, then used a 2 pack epoxy resin on the outside of tank, 

let the resin set for a day, 

bought a tank lining kit 100 euro 3 part

bottle A was for cleaning,etching and removing rust,left it in the tank 24hrs

emptied out bottle A and the tank was spotless and didnt leak thru resin i had done,

bottle B was to remove any residue from the tank after bottle A

Bottle C was the the last thing to do, poured in all of it swirled it around for couple of minutes

repeated this every 8 to 10 mins for an hour so the tank was well lined

drained the remains of bottle A and left it to cure for 24 hours

next day filled her with petrol and went for 120 mile ride and not one drop came out RESULT

it was a fecker of a job tbh but its done right and i have a nice clean tank now

thanks again for ur help folks lesson learned 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...