GSXR 1100 vs. Bandit 1200 engine & frame

80GS1000

Oilcooled noob here so pardon my ignorance...

If you were to build a bike from the frame up using a GSXR 1100 or Bandit 1200 engine, would you choose the GSXR 1100 engine/frame or Bandit 1200 engine/frame and why? 

Which is the better engine/frame? 

Is the Bandit 1200 frame stiff enough for trackday duty or should I be looking at the GSXR 1100 frame?  It appears that the B12 engine bolts up into the GSXR 1100 frame so that may be an option to get a newer engine in an older but stiffer frame?

I'm considering putting together a new naked bike/roadrace style trackday build from the ground up using one of the oil boilers above.

Basically something with upright bars, late model GSXR running gear,  a meaty air/oil cooled engine, loads of grunt, and which can also strafe corners at the racetrack if asked.

Any advice is appreciated!

I would go for a GSXR 750 88/89 frame with a GSXR 750 95 swingarm. GSXR 1000/600 K5 or newer forks, brakes and front wheel. GSXR 600 rear wheel (5.5 inch). Ohlins or KTech rear shock (GSXR 1000 K5/K6 or GSXR 600/750 K6-K9). 1246 pistons in a bandit engine with Kent cams (grind no. SUZ7) and ported head. Cheap power.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I would go for a GSXR 750 88/89 frame with a GSXR 750 95 swingarm. GSXR 1000/600 K5 or newer forks, brakes and front wheel. GSXR 600 rear wheel (5.5 inch). Ohlins or KTech rear shock (GSXR 1000 K5/K6 or GSXR 600/750 K6-K9). 1246 pistons in a bandit engine with Kent cams (grind no. SUZ7) and ported head. Cheap power.

CHEAP!!!!  which bits cheap then????

• Like 7

Depends on what you want to achieve really, and which look you like. Bandit frames are very cheap and easy to get but give me the impression they were build by Harland and Wolf c.1930; they weigh a ton. Slabby frames are thinner on the ground as are their associated parts if you want that look and a lighter better handling bike. Slingshot frames are much more common and cheaper and the associated parts are cheaper.

• Like 1