Air vs Oil

Ibbo

I'm putting this in the aircooled because I'm after the opinion of anyone who has swapped engines from Air to Oil cooled. Specifically I'm looking at GSX1100 ET to GSXR1100.

I can see some advantages to the swap, 25?kg lighter, better charging system, possibly a little more power. Maybe more tolerance to hot weather?

There are some disadvantages, the aircooled fits the frame slightly better, lower revs, and more torque. The look of the air cooled appeals.

If you have done the swap, did it work out how you expected? Can you tell it's lighter? Is it thirstier? Tank range is a bugbear at the moment with a european tour planned for next year.

The air cooled is a good engine, so maybe I should improve the charging, and keep it in there. It does have a charm all of it's own.

What should I do?

4 hours ago, Ibbo said:

The Mosfet regulator does help. I find it difficult to keep heated grips, headlight, and phone charging going though. 

Sounds like you need a car xD

Got both best way.

The gs1000g with tuned GS 1000g engine is fun to ride and is a complete different way of riding to the oil cooled, down side, the air cooled yes heavyer and not as much mpg.

Oil cooled, got the kat with 1127 in it and the ET with 1157 in it, love riding both lots of tuque and power when you want it, don't ask me to choose witch I like the most as I can't all different and all are fun.

Best way to answer your question is get both (y)

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, wraith said:

Sounds like you need a car xD

Got both best way.

The gs1000g with tuned GS 1000g engine is fun to ride and is a complete different way of riding to the oil cooled, down side, the air cooled yes heavyer and not as much mpg.

Oil cooled, got the kat with 1127 in it and the ET with 1157 in it, love riding both lots of tuque and power when you want it, don't ask me to choose witch I like the most as I can't all different and all are fun.

Best way to answer your question is get both (y)

A car indeed. We go camping, and prefer to be independent of mains supplies. maybe solar would help. 

The grips help me wear thinner gloves on brit summer days. I struggle with thicker ones, and cold hands hurt nowadays.

I wish I had more room for bikes.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Isleoman said:

The good news is the Mosfet style regulators solve most of the GS charging issues.  

though reconfiguring the three alternator phases directly to the reg rec rather that one going through the headlight switch also cures a lot of the gs/gsx ranges charging issues. gs/gsx reg recs arent actually that bad, they fail because the wiring layout of the bikes causes them to fail.

thankyou all for the information. currently i'm leaning to a gsxr charging system on the 1075 lump. 1kg off the crank is big numbers to me.

if anyone wishes to offer a deal on a straight frame for bike no 2 i'm happy to start a new build,  but i think air cooled is my love. i once had a 199hp dyno chart with tts. long live the roller crank.

• Like 2