GSX400 turbo-project

JJSalo

16 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

The turbo from a Smart car may work but even that is for an engine at least 50% larger than the OP is using! And regarding the VF20's, I personally wouldn't fit a BB turbo to an aircooled engine without some form of liquid cooling!

Engine displacement is quite bad reference for estimating suitability of a turbo. Power is much more relevant figure for that, original NA power and target power with boost. Any way, 20kW is pretty small number to start with so probably that will need a turbo from the smallest end of commonly available range. I don't remember details of the VF20 but I guess it has been used on 150-200hp engines so most likely it's way too big.

One of the smallest turbos that I know is IHI RHB31 which probably should be fine for this engine. Those are also widely available as cheap aftermarket copies so trying one wouldn't be extremely expensive.

On 11/17/2020 at 9:18 PM, Blubber said:

The new fiat 500 has a 900cc aircooled twin and a turbo. Dont know about the rev range of the fiat but it might work out on the motorcycle of the topic starter?

That kind of a turbo may be an ideal solution for a small capacity mc. Unfortunately I allready bought a kp35. Anyway, also it should work. It is air-cooled and when used in cars 1200 cc engines it gives the maximum torque at as low as 1500rpm, meaning theoretically that the amount of pumped air is the same as it is when a 400  cc mc is running at 4500rpm?

At the moment I am wondering how to weld a double-layer exhaust pipe that I am going to use to keep the exhaust-gases hot before getting to the turbine.

4 hours ago, JJSalo said:

That kind of a turbo may be an ideal solution for a small capacity mc. Unfortunately I allready bought a kp35. Anyway, also it should work. It is air-cooled and when used in cars 1200 cc engines it gives the maximum torque at as low as 1500rpm, meaning theoretically that the amount of pumped air is the same as it is when a 400  cc mc is running at 4500rpm?

At the moment I am wondering how to weld a double-layer exhaust pipe that I am going to use to keep the exhaust-gases hot before getting to the turbine.

How far away from the head are you planning on having the turbo? Having the turbo sat where most of us do, your not going to loose any heat worth worrying about anyway, its like 50mm

On 11/17/2020 at 3:27 PM, Gixer1460 said:

The turbo from a Smart car may work but even that is for an engine at least 50% larger than the OP is using! And regarding the VF20's, I personally wouldn't fit a BB turbo to an aircooled engine without some form of liquid cooling!

Smart car unless they changed last time i looked has an integral cast iron 3 cyl exhaust header merged into the turbo casing