1988 GSXF 1100

jett90

Hello - found this forum and thought I'd ask.  Tons of experience and info on this forum!

I'm looking at bringing back an 88 GSXF 1100 from the grave and both the return oil tubes in the front of the engine are leaking (both on the head side) oil. 
After some research, I don't think there is any other way to get at the orings on the oil return tubes other than by removing the cylinder head.  Am I correct?  The cylinder head needs to come off unless there is an other option?
Can anyone confirm if the cylinder head can be removed with the engine still in the frame?
The service manual seems to say no, but I'm not entirely sure.

This poor motorcycle has been abused and definitively unloved for many years - I'm thinking, maybe I can change that.

• Like 1

Thank yo u for the super quick reply and welcome Swiss Toni!  I'm in Canada, eh! 

This poor beast - GSXF 1100 - has been ridden hard and put away wet all its life it would seem......and spent the last 10 years under a tarp in someone's back yard to top it all off.  It just needs lots of love.  The poor beast.  Comes with the standard Suzuki electric windscreen!!  How inter galactic is that for 1988!  lol

Edited by jett90
  • Like 1

Welcome to OSS.

Before you get in trouble RTFR ;)

Just doing a gsx1100f myself, and yes the engine has to come out of the frame to remove the head, as above use OEM seals.

Also if it's been used as you say the exhaust studs/bolts maybe seized so give them a good socking in oil or something before they snap.

• banoffee changed the title to 1988 GSXF 1100
2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

That's a bit of a retrograde step on Suzuki's part - haven't come across any others where this is a requirement!

No never had I till I put the cases in the one I'm building and found that when I had the crank case and barrels bolted in place you could not get the head on, just no room at all. Even the carbs are tight fit

IMG_20201007_134529398.thumb.jpg.306e9be95750b6a3c17ce1062de6cb4a.jpg

On 10/26/2020 at 4:15 PM, wraith said:

No never had I till I put the cases in the one I'm building and found that when I had the crank case and barrels bolted in place you could not get the head on, just no room at all. Even the carbs are tight fit

IMG_20201007_134529398.thumb.jpg.306e9be95750b6a3c17ce1062de6cb4a.jpg

Thank you for confirming what I suspected.  It's unfortunate the motor has to come out to pull the head off to replace those leaking o-rings.  Even being able to somehow pivot the motor from the rear motor mounts while undoing the front mounts would have been nice.  Motor is coming out then and I'll be sure to get Suzuki orings for replacements.

I now know what RTFR means.  I'm looking forward to working on the Teapot! :tu

• Like 3