GS650G

Fireturk

Hi all, after 25 years away from motorcycling (family & work) I have at last returned to owning a couple of Suzuki bikes (upon my recent retirement.) I decided on an old skool project and picked up an unloved GS650G bike, complete, but OMG some work lays ahead.

Usual story no V5,been in garage for years blah blah...

So I exchange the paper stuff, (Covid rules relaxed,no plastic on this deal)  and load the trailer.

Upon closer inspection, I have tried to find the exact year and model, I don't think the tank is original for the bike,looks more GS 750 late seventies to me.

The frame number is GS650G-104397 and engine 115733.

I seem to have hit a wall as to finding the origins of the bike,could anyone shed any light on the numbers or point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

P1070411.jpg

P1070415.jpg

P1070418.jpg

• Like 2

It's a little rough but you have a platform to start a project.  Make sure to go make an introduction post in the "general chat" section, and you'll be more likely to get answers to your questions.  Don't be a "one-post wonder".  (ask question, members take time to answer, then never hear from you again)

• Like 2

Hi all, after 25 years away from motorcycling (family & work) I have at last returned to owning a couple of Suzuki bikes (upon my recent retirement.) I decided on an old skool project and picked up an unloved GS650G bike, complete, but OMG some work lays ahead.

Usual story no V5,been in garage for years blah blah...

So I exchange the paper stuff, (Covid rules relaxed,no plastic on this deal)  and load the trailer.

Upon closer inspection, I have tried to find the exact year and model, I don't think the tank is original for the bike,looks more GS 750 late seventies to me.

The frame number is GS650G-104397 and engine 115733.

I seem to have hit a wall as to finding the origins of the bike,could anyone shed any light on the numbers or point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

P1070411.jpg

P1070415.jpg

P1070418.jpg

Welcome to OSS.

Looks to me you have a gs650 katana and someone has put the gs650gt tank on.

The 650 kat had the oil cooler and the more sporty front mudguard, the seat and rear light/cowling is 650 katana 

Good news, the gs550 katana tank will fit the 650.

Bad news the 650 side panels only fit as the 550 kat side panels lugs are in a different place.

You have something to get your teeth into ;)

As you now know it's a katana, pop over to katana owners club UK and between OSS and KOC you could get a nice bike, but it won't be standard with use xD

Hello Wraith,many thanks for the reply. I had a suspicion the tank was off a different model as it sits proud of the two lugs. Well at least now I have an idea of its base model. I will certainly check out the other site and try to create something interesting, I have my work cut out.

Thanks again.

31 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Hello and welcome. Frame doesn’t look like GS750 with the ‘kink’ in the tube near sw/arm pivot! Any pictures with the tank off ? And, if the frame number starts GS650, that’s likely what it is! @wraith knows a bit about those smaller GS’s. He’ll be along shortly! ;)

:D

Seen and replayed in air cooled section (y)

On 10/23/2020 at 3:12 PM, wraith said:

Just don't like them, just look wrong

I think I found the look that I am going for. At first I thought the color was awful... but I must admit, it is growing on me. Like Henry Ford said, you can get any color you want, as long as it is black

suzuki-gs-550-cafe-racer-625x417.jpg

Edited by 109Countries
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, wraith said:

Not a lover of cafe racer stale but hay, each to there own. ;)

If we where all the same it would be a sad life.

Thought I saw this 650 at the start of the post on the bay last night up for sale ?

I just found it on an image search! Good luck on the sale though! I totally understand... I feel the exact same way about choppers. Woof.

I just zoomed in on the picture I uploaded and I just noticed that he has no rear brake pedal... or foot rest. Odd. 

Edited by 109Countries
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, 109Countries said:

I just zoomed in on the picture I uploaded and I just noticed that he has no rear brake pedal... or foot rest. Odd. 

Look again - there is a black alloy footrest with a skeleton bracket & brake lever. I'm guessing the master and reservoir are behind the alloy sidepanel !