Dumb GS1100 (GSX1100) racer build ????

rich46

OK this may sound like a totally dumb question but I'm on the lookout for gas caps for the two GS11's I building for Vintage Road Racing.  Lots of caps out there that lock but because we're racing in some events that will require full stops; and not to mention that I never use locking caps on race bikes.  Does anyone know of a cap that fits these motorbikes but does not have a locking system.  Trick here is they can't be some POS plastic thing because of a possible  crash induced fire.

As with my oiling question thank you in advance.

Cheers, 

Rich

Yes I knew that was my option.   I was in hopes that there was an easier route.  I've got 7 race bikes on the burner and was trying to avoid that.  May not be possible but I still am wishing if only because I'm building two GS11 race bikes and putting together a spare tank (you just never know what the riders may do to things) just in case.  So considering that,  caps would save considerable time.

Thanks  for the input tho

I know the OP said he doesn't want/like locking caps but one way or the other it has to lock or screw on unless it's a quick fill spring loaded trap door type system.   

Could you leave the key in the lock and trim down what's left that sticks out so that all you have is a low profile turn screw instead of a key end?  Keep a a couple spare caps in the pit. 

It was considered.  I will tell you when the motorbikes come into the pits for a fuel  (also check tires) stop things are fairly hectic.  At the Isle of Man pits you are also using archaic fueling equipment so there is a lot of tension.  So  when we plan how we're going to handle the pit stops the very first thing we do is try and eliminate anything that could go wrong.  Having something like that where the key could fall out if the cap gets knocked to the ground or the rider catches  a glove where it sticks up are all things that just scare me.  After 40 years racing cars and bikes I haven't learned a lot but the one thing I have learned is keep it simple stupid and if it can screw up IT WILL !  

What we did the last time we were there was  (different motorbike) was have a cap with out a key and also we each had an extra one in our firesuit pocket.  If you drop or loose that cap there you will sit so it's something you worry about.  Le Mans  caps aren't legal by rule.

Thanks for the input.  After looking at the opening it looks kind of old school standard configuration.   I'm sure there's a cap out there that will fit I just need to find it.

Cheers

No experience of this other than watching the TT on the gogglebox and those guys manage with separate keys or permanent keys in caps and i'm sure those stops are somewhat more 'frantic' than classic bike racing? A key with a lanyard to the bars is an idea for loosing / dropping it. I'm fairly sure that a screwed cap (for example) would take longer to undo & do up than a key'd cap - something to bear in mind maybe?

Sorry mate it's even a wee bit crazy at the Classic.  We all want to do well even if we were not big names .  Never saw anyone with keys sticking out of caps.  All I was wondering was if someone had come upon a cap that just worked  again there's one about,  I've just not found it.  We avoid things like locking caps because they sometimes jam or keys get lost.  No worries we'll find something or if all else fails we can make up plates that will except modern  quarter turn caps like the one's for Yamaha's and CBR's.  My bad just was looking for a simple fix.         :mr711: