GS1100 Race Oiling

rich46

7 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Care to enlighten us as I've never heard of anyone using anything other than 750 gears even PS engines? Restriction to cam bearings seems daft - saving a cam or rocker at expense of destroying a fully worked cylinder head - bizarre!

I had a bunch of gears made that are 11% higher ratio than normal 750 gears - I run 750 primary gears , so using the normal setup would leave me stock oil flow.......

I've never had any cam bearing problems , but over the years a lot of burned rockers and cam lobes - very high lift cams and high seat pressures with ovesize stainless valves

Thanks mates I am now getting an idea of how to proceed.  These engines  for the real road race courses will never see 10 thousand RPM nor will they get cams that look like they have points.  I've learned that the engines first and foremost need to live and make for good top end power.  The IOM is about making the bike live for  (depending on which races you enter)  between 160  and 250 miles , not beat the crap out of the rider and stop when it needs to stop and turn when it needs to turn.  A drag race it is not  my guys want smooth power over the power-band.  Also nothing sudden or peaky because there are almost always places where you're trying to accelerate out of turns that are damp or down right wet.

What I'm hearing is that I should look for about 145 HP @ 9500 RPM  if that sounds about right then I'm on my way.

Cheers to all I off to the Television for the MotoGp   :pimp:    

No big engines either.  The real problem with what we're doing is that we're racing with three  maybe even four different organizations so we are stuck with  rules  that let you do things in one group but not in another.   Here are the examples  Some allow up to 1300 cc others only 1000cc (we can get a special disposition for the spec engine size that the GSX11 came with).  Some places we can shift to a single rear shock configuration but others we're left with twin shocks.  And again some places we can race with USD forks others we stay with conventional.

Now if we were not so far from home we could maybe switch back and forth but  allowing for the reality that  changes will  completely alter  set up  that is a hopeless option.  There's also the fact that we are all about the experiences.  We are shooting for being in the top 50% and hope the old age and cunning will get us there.

My IOM veteran has done the TT a lot of times and that race is just fun to be part of he's won sidecar championships here in the states  and remember there is really no $ in this game.  I have retired from serious automobile racing so working on these bikes is my therapy.