1100EFE Discontinued Parts

RustyToe

Posted this on the Suzuki Owners Club too..

1986 GSX1100EFE..

Discontinued parts... A bit of a bugger to say the least!!
Primary drive shaft (The one that carries the sprocket) is goosed. I can't find one anywhere, even the one in NSW turned out to be a ghost.
I'm rebuilding a bike I bought last year and after taking the motor out discovered the mangled splines that are probably beyond repair. I'm not sure if a gearbox from an earlier or later GSX would fit and I'd like to keep the original motor in the frame. Advice would be appreciated and if I can't find a shaft to fit, was wondering what machining a new one would entail? List price of the discontinued part is around the £250 - £300 mark.. Would machining be in that price range and where could I get the CAD file to give to a machine shop?
Cheers Folks..
N.B. Part number is DRIVE SHAFT (24131-00A00)
Newcastle Brown Ale Cures Monotony

6 minutes ago, RustyToe said:

I have done.... It looks like the 84/86 gearbox for that model is unique.. I will NOT be beaten though.. :D

The problem with that is although the part is the same, the part number will be different allowing them to apply a 'popular' tax over and above the regular price! A CAD file is unlikely to exist - not difficult to create but at, say. £/$100 / hr that's half the new cost gone and material, machining and heat treating will add triple that to the final cost. A machine shop may be able to re-weld / spray weld the splines (I assume these are what's mullered) and then re-cut the splines using a rotary table - still a couple of hours maybe?

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, Bongo_H said:

Did you ever find this drive-shaft part?

I have the same bike with damaged splines on the output shaft for the front sprocket.

Yes I did. I ordered one from the States thru Suzuki Performance Spares. It was heavier duty than the original one. I have a funny feeling he ordered a couple or three. It included heavy duty bearing and oil seal. I haven't actually seen it though as it got delivered to the lad that's building my motor for me.. Jim Norman from Milwaukee Muscle and Flow-Tech Racing. (He's in the UK)

N.B. Nick from SPS was very helpful and also managed to sell me a 1230 kit too.. :)

Edited by RustyToe
More info

@RustyToe- Thank you for responding and providing a promising lead!

@Swiss Toni - I have not gotten into the transmission yet.  Just got the frame back from the painter and was not planning to get into the transmission at all, until I went to re-install the engine and discovered the damaged splines on the sprocket shaft.  *Everything else* is torn down, except the bottom end, so I figured why not try to find the part...

I (just) found a US supplier who CLAIMS the part is "NOT DISCONTINUED" by Suzuki, and therefore "available", so I submitted an order for a new OEM shaft.  We'll see in about 10 days, if they can ACTUALLY get one.  If not, I'll probably measure my shaft <grin> and get back to you on your kind offer.

As for the length difference mentioned by @KATANMANGLER:  The exterior part of the shaft has quite a bit of 'extra' length, so depending on where the difference are, the slightly shorter shaft may be workable.  When I had no leads on a part, I was actually considering a (custom) spacer behind (a new ) front sprocket to push it out onto the undamaged section of the splines.  Of course, that would mean trying to add a spacer(s)s of the same thickness behind the rear sprocket.  But trying to add a spacer behind the sprocket on the rear cush-drive hub looks sketchy because the hub where the rear sprocket mounts is tapered.  The BOLTs would end up taking the 'lateral' strain, rather than the hub-shoulder.  (If that makes sense to anyone but me)

• 2 weeks later...

FYI for anyone else looking for Suzuki output shafts, or transmission parts:  GS1100, GS1150, GSX1100, GSXR1000, Hayabusa 1300, etc.

After following many breadcrumb trails down various rabbit-holes, I found a fantastic company in New York USA, which had the output shaft I needed.  www.robinsonindustriesinc.com

These folks were amazing to deal with.   They manufacture replacement, high performance transmission parts for Suzuki and other major brands of motorcycles.  They also do custom machining such as gear (dog) undercutting for drag-bike applications.

The part was In-stock and shipped from the USA to Canada VERY quickly.  Cost of the new part was reasonable and shipping was also very reasonable.

I reached out via email and they promptly called me to confirm details, then shipped the part the same day payment was received.  The part has been received and the quality looks great, though I have not (yet) dismantled my gearbox to install the replacement output shaft.

• Like 3
  • 7 months later...

I got  a new axle from Robinson last november. Did som comparing between the new and old one. Looks like the axle from Robinson are missing some lube holes. Not sure if it will be a problem. Does anyone know ? Have tried to get an answer from Robinson, but no respons yet. Thanks

20211216_132306.jpg

I can't recall anyone ever complaining the internal shaft splines in the gears ever got worn? Holes in a shaft are ultimately a weak point so if Robinson's don't include them its for a reason as race bike transmissions are a far more stressed environment. Generally most gearboxes survive on splash lube so the OEM holes may have been found to be superfluous?

• 4 weeks later...