New member starting an efe project

Charles

I’m glad I found this site a member on another site directed me here because the other site had technical difficulties that I couldn’t deal with. I just bought an 85 1150 and I plan on modernizing the suspension and wheels, losing as much weight from it as possible, doing some seat and ergo mods and emphasizing the midrange torque of the motor  

First up I have some sv650 suspension (full traxxion dynamics kit) and wheels going on with the Suzuki factory brake kit. 

Next I plan on shortening the seat and rear fender (tastefully), adding rearsets and fatbars with new controls, I have a motogadget kit for completely new electrics and either an 83 750 or Wes Cooley style fairing. 
For the motor I have a set of 31mm smoothbores and I plan on going through it to refreshen all of the vitals, then I will top it off with a bevy of braided line, bigger cooler and a Hindle exhaust

C8B1764E-FEA4-44D9-98C7-03A96FEF604F.jpeg

5B589EE1-5B58-4018-B87C-F27AF94A45F6.jpeg

B62B88E9-8381-483A-8EB0-F54B496C2B0F.jpeg

87536D17-027B-4E2C-9E93-D06E4FF6010D.jpeg

• Like 3

I have you to thank for the site recommendation.The carbs are only 31mm but I have friends who race vintage bikes and they say that with the cr’s you don’t want to go too big or you lose a ton of midrange (they use 33’s on full blown race engines), and midrange punch is what I am after so hopefully they will work just fine. I am tearing the motor down to replace the bearings and rings, clean up the head and replace all of the seals so I might mill the block and head down a bit to get some more compression which should also help the mid range

16 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Hi Chas. Good project, by the looks of it! Don’t stray too far from the EF look though! 

Honestly I am not too fond of the fairing or the Starship Enterprise tractor beam on the front so I think that will be gone, I was thinking more of an 83es type fairing and maybe some seat mods. The suspension and wheels shouldn’t look too far out of place as most of the builds I have seen on here have the 3 spoke 17” wheels. The rest will be subtle massaging to get everything to fit. I should be able to start mocking stuff up next week and I will start a thread in the projects section where everybody’s input (positive or negative) will ultimately form the finished project. I really like what I see and hear on this site and have literally changed my mind half a dozen times in 3 or 4 hours of browsing members projects. 

17 minutes ago, Charles said:

I really like what I see and hear on this site and have literally changed my mind half a dozen times in 3 or 4 hours of browsing members projects. 

Yup, my  biggest build issue is myself, I can't keep a finished design in my head, the project is constantly evolving. Every time I think I have a clear idea of the completed project I see another great idea and incorporate that into my project, today was no exception.

The top part of the original EFE fairing look good on these. Many like them naked for that muscle bike aesthetic .  With a fairing they are more practical for doing distance and using to transverse continents n' that. Depends what you want to use it for.

The ES fairing might be a better fit than the Kat or the GS1200S looks good too.

efe.JPG

ES.JPG

• Like 1

I have the full efe fairing and intended to strip that off and go naked, I even bought the nearly unobtainium  headlight and bucket for the conversion. But after a 7hr mountain cruise on my other naked ride I had a rethink, I do rather like being out of the full blast of the wind on long mountain rides.

Now I'm keeping the fairing although it will look different in aluminum and I have a naked efe headlight on my shelf that I may put on my other ride, I also have 1/4 Cooley style fairing for it.

Try what ever you want and if you're not pleased with it, change it. It's what we do, we modify bikes until we're satisfied.

4 hours ago, Charles said:

How about a little bikini fairing like the Katana has? Has anybody adapted a Katana fairing to an efe?

open three windows on your screen for the three bikes... Katana, gs1100es and GS1150efe.  You can see the design progression and the changes in fairing and tank.  Would it work, possibly. It's not going to be the most expensive modification you're going to do, if it doesn't work out move on and try something else.

Edited by RGSX
1 minute ago, Dorkburger said:

Homer this idea to the extreme on his build. And it looks wicked. 

That blue one you posted looks nice from the side I’m thinking it has something to do with the paint scheme splitting it horizontally and making it look smaller, but from the front you can’t get away from that polarizing (9”?) headlight. Maybe I could modify the opening and adapt something a little less eye grabbing. I’m going to try and search Homer and get some more food for thought

20 minutes ago, Charles said:

That blue one you posted looks nice from the side I’m thinking it has something to do with the paint scheme splitting it horizontally and making it look smaller, but from the front you can’t get away from that polarizing (9”?) headlight. Maybe I could modify the opening and adapt something a little less eye grabbing. I’m going to try and search Homer and get some more food for thought

So that is different. I like a lot of the stuff that he has done even though I’m not building a drag bike; just the top fairing painted white and blue mounted a little lower (with front fender clearance)!, I also like the side panels cut back a bit to see the carbs and I could fab up a solo seat with a short tail section. I just have to research headlights. The pictures in my mind are starting to look a little clearer! Thanks guys

E496CB59-7C1B-442A-A97B-943B6F9C78E5.jpeg

• Like 3

The paint scheme does go a long way. I don't particularly care for the 1984 design. 85 and 86 I dig. If you're going full custom it doesn't apply. Personally I've never considered the full fairing to be beautiful.  At some angles it's awesome, at others it can be awkward, but always cool, and always unmistakable. I consider it one of its charms.....

• 2 months later...