New guy with a Bandit 1200 EFI Turbo

Hi all, posting to introduce myself. I already found my way to the FI forum as I'm having some issues with my Turbo Bandit 1200 with an EFI conversion. 

I worked as a mechanic before going back to school for mechanical engineering and I have fairly extensive history with modifying vehicles. I had a '96 turbo Miata making 240rwhp, a 600hp Audi A6 2.7t, a '91 Jetta ice racer, tuned for several friend's turbo cars, and a bunch of motorcycles. Currently in the middle of the largest undertaking I've ever done, which is my Bandit 1200 turbo project. I bought the bike for $950, gave it some love, and turbo'd it with straight pipe, a miter saw, a welder, and a Chinese K03 for $600.

It ran alright on the carbs, pulled hard, but I deal with altitude change and could never get it perfect so I decided to swap to EFI. Did it similarly as cheap as possible with a microsquirt and GSXR600 throttle bodies. It runs, but it runs like shit. Idles and free-revs great, but as soon as a load is demanded it starts running like garbage, I think it's dropping cylinders. Here to try and figure out why, and hopefully pass on some of my knowledge. 

I wrote a short(ish) guide on the physical aspects of the EFI conversion, you can find it here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SW7dXbRBW5xwKMgGEPro1O0gS8Qw5KvwAWtGAYwlEWg/edit?usp=sharing

Anyways, thanks for having me, I'm looking forward to getting to know the members here. 

• Like 4

Ha, it was never meant to be a pretty bike :D. But yes, once it's functional I'm hoping to tuck the wastegate a bit further in towards the bike (and loop it into the exhaust so it's not a screamer pipe) and re-do/clean up the charge piping, I think it'll help a lot with the aesthetics. But I'm a firm believer in function over form, at the end of the day it doesn't have to be pretty if it shows people my tail lights. 

9 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

No problem with oil drainage though LOL!

Funny enough, the whole reason the turbo is there is because of oil drainage; the original kit I built had the turbo down low, but I could never quite get the clearance I wanted and had constant oil draining issues. I'll take an ugly bike over one that won't stop blowing smoke. 

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...