89 fork cap problems

Lachie04

Hey fokes

Got a set of 750 89 K forks to fit up for a post classic but the rebound screw adjusters are pretty jamed, one I can only get a half turn on.

Is there any other compatible fork caps around that anyone knows of with preload and rebound screws? 

They only seem to have been used on 88 - 90 750's and look a bit rare

Or any suggestions on freeing them up?  With the o rings inside I imagine heating would not be a great option.

Cheers

Assuming that you don’t know the history of the forks, it may be an idea to check they’ve been assembled correctly. I had this recently, albeit on a set of K6 forks. I figured out that the rebound adjuster screw height hadn’t been adjusted correctly as per the specs in the manual during assembly, resulting in nearly no travel in the rebound setting screw - just a thought 

• 4 months later...

Trying to clean them was not working and pretty munted

So hopefully got this sorted now and seem to work but will have to wait a while for a proper road test but seems good 

What I ended up doing was I aquired a after market set of fork bolts of fleabay from a certain heavey metal industries 1000 that suppose to use Showa 43 mm forks with almost the same set up but work slightly differently 

Found out 43mm showa forks seem to have changed thread sizes at some point so had to get the main bolt remachined made up a slug as the new one does have the same rebound adjustment screw type and slot it out for the oil to drain back to the fork 

Seems to work as it should here's hoping 

IMG_20210303_174835110.jpg

IMG_20210303_175410318_HDR.jpg

Edited by Lachie04
  • Like 1