AIR FILTER/K&N issue

Meerkat

Good evening everyone,

Hope you are all well and unaffected by "CC" (Covid Chaos).

I need advice on the attached. A few people have suggested I ditch the single pod filters and go for dual pods to improve the running, either K&N or Pipercross (or similar).

A pal of mine had a set of the attached which are 'apparently' for the Slingshot and offered for me to try them to see if they improved the running.

However when I came to fit them they were loads bigger (internal ID of 62+mm against the carb outer diameter of 58mm) despite being listed for my model and no matter how hard I tried I could not get them to seat properly. The 4mm of slack just resulted in the flange area miss shaping so bad when tightened they would not sit securely....i could ease them off worryingly easy!

Also seems to pinch fuel line quite a lot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

IMG-20200929-WA0013.jpg

40 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

RU 2922 is the correct one for slingshot carbs. I've fitted many sets in the past, no problems.

Maybe the ones your mate offered you were not new anymore and have been "pre-stretched" a bit?

I know RU 2922 is the correct fitment, my mate had bought them for one of his Slingshot projects but never fitted them as he wasn't at that stage yet.  They are BRAND NEW, still in plastic sealed wrap in the unopened box so no chance of pre-stretch.

The size just seems completely wrong as the gap between them pre-tightening is huge and when they are tightened they aren't sitting flush and (as mentioned earlier) trap the fuel pipes more than I would have expected ?!?!?

Weird!

IMG_20200929_173446726.jpg

IMG_20200929_173506538.jpg

What bike is it and does it still have the stock carbs? 'Slingshot' is a term that covers several models and even my limited knowledge on this enables me to conclude that some slingshots are much easier to set up with non-standard air filters than others. The 1100M,N models have massive 40mm BST carbs, the 1100 k,l have BST 36,  and  the 750s have either BST 36 or BST 38s. So I am guessing an air filter kit designed for a bike with BST36s is going to be a challenge getting it on a bike with larger carbs and vice-versa.

Its a 1991 GSXR1100N with (I 'think' standard sized carbs issued for this model).

I may have another go at the weekend but genuinely cant see how a moulded piece of rubber with an internal 'square' diameter of 62MM+ is going to fit a 'square' edge of max 58mm without concerning distortion. It wouldnt seat nicely (square) when I tried (as can be seen in the image showing how the filter sat at an angle when pushed into place. 

I still have the original airbox (& I think rubbers) so may try as Yantosh suggested....

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Buzuki said:

Meerkat 

I think that your K&N -RU2922 is OK but your both fuel lines are placed on the incorrect side(red) of that long carbs metal bracket(blue line) , each of two fuel line have to be placed in between of two carbs (green), than K&N will fit without of any obstruction .

RU2922.jpg

Thanks for that!!!! I will try it after moving everything and see how it goes.