Hi,

New to this forum, but will be grateful for your advice.  I have a Suzuki DR350, 1995 model.  It appears that the engine might have been changed  at some time during the past 20-odd years (the external stamping does not relate the the engine number in the V5C!)  I will discuss this with the DVLA in due course.  But when opening up the crankcase the other day I was expecting to find a set of  the same numbers stamped into both halves, indicating that they were a matched pair.  I could not find any such numbers - on the inside of the cases one side had 94.07.07 126, the other 94.07.07 165.

Any thoughts on this?  My old-skool experience tells me there should be some  marking to indicate the relationship of the halves to each other, but modern manufacturing techniques might now render this detail un-necessary.  And the engine works fine, by the way.

happy to learn from your collective wisdom......

Sigean

4 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

You've got a left half and a right half? or a top and a bottom? - are they identical? No - hence the different part numbers!

true, unless he's referring to build date or serial number. If matching serial numbers one side could have been replaced after sale or even at the factory.

94.07.07 126 looks like a build date but I'm no expert on Suzuki dating methods. Just a guess as the bike is a 1995 model it could be 1994, July 7th. 126 could be unit number for the day. 

My other Japanese ride has two numbers for build date, one for the frame and another for the engine(built a month apart) and both numbers date to 1978 even though it was sold as a '79. Normally there was only one crankcase number but there were units that had two stamps, one on top case another on the bottom.