New to me 1979 suzuki gs1000l

eskimo619

Hey everyone, just joined the forum and as of this weekend am the new owner of a 1979 suzuki gs1000l.  Wasnt looking for one specifically but found it cheap on craigslist and figured why not grab it.  Has under 18k miles and in overall decent shape.  Hasnt run in 4 years according to previous owner.  Was garage stored most its life so its not all that weathered.  Id say normal amount of surface rust on some parts and whatnot.  He had the tank and side covers painted prior to its storage, they look okay but could use a buff.  But its all there and he had the title.  Unfortunatly he did lose the key so ill be needing to get a used ignition and gas cap off Eblag.  Not quite sure how ill do the gas cap, hoping I can pick it easy or jam a screw driver in.  Wanting to avoid drilling and blowing myself up lol.

But the motor spins over.  Everything is free, brakes, throttle, choke etc...  He said the carbs were gone through before it sat but it still had an issue and was breaking up.  Mechanic said it was the points and had them adjusted but didn't run perfect even after that.  I was told it could use new points and of course now that its sat ill go through the carbs as well.  I wonder if the petcock needed a rebuild and could have been the issue.  Wondering if I should upgrade the ignition to a dyna electronic ignition.  Would love a nice 4into1 exhaust but for now ill get it running stock and go from there.  Needs a fork seal so I'll do both.  And front tire needs replacing.  Would be cool to do a mild cafe style build.  Too bad it isn't a model with the cowl in the rear so not as sporty.  Maybe chop the back off and get a nicer flatter seat.  Plenty of options for customizing.

Figured id pop in here and see if anyone had any ideas or suggestions.  I was also given a spare gas tank and was told it was for a gs550.  The tank itself is in awesome shape and in what looks to be its original packaging from 1979.  I ran the part number and confirmed its a 1979 gs550 tank.  May sell that on its own, looks like it could for a decent amount in the shape its in.  Anyway heres a couple pictures of the bike.  Let me know what you think.  I paid $600 for the bike and tank.  May even just clean it up and resell.  Would be my winter project but I buy and sell a lot of bikes and none of them stay in the garage long.  Any idea on a rough value should I decide to just clean and sell?.

20200927_182745.jpg

20200927_182735.jpg

20200927_203014.jpg

20200927_203118.jpg

On 9/28/2020 at 12:44 AM, Captain Chaos said:

Hello and welcome on OSS. 

@RickLeeplease post an introduction about you and your ride. Now you have a good example. 

@eskimo619remove the ignition lock and take it to a locksmith. He/she will make a key which will fit the tank and seat locks too if they're still original. 

So i have a new key on the way.  I was informed there should have been a 3 digit code stamped on one or all of the locks.  It wasn't on the ignition but was stamped on the face of the gas cap and seat latch.  Was shipped this morning so hoping to have by the end of the week.  Takes care of that issue.  Ive actually already made the decision I may not dive into this project like I had planned to.  I picked up a second bike right after buying this gs and may just sell this bike.  Not in a position to dive into the project at the moment, I could bury it in the garage until I'm ready but figured id see what happens.  I spent a little time cleaning up the bike more yesterday and its comming back to life.

20200929_182117.jpg

20200929_182146.jpg

20200929_182210.jpg

20200929_182202.jpg

20200929_182244.jpg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Poldark said:

Looks like a very nice bike for $600.  Get it running and you should be able to sell it for a nice profit.  Or... it would also make a great base bike for a custom.  Get it running, ride it some, then YOU can make that decision.  And welcome to OSS.

I thought it was worth grabbing at that number.  Ive been told by a few people that even in nice shape this particular model isn't worth much.  Guess noone likes the L model and just wants a sportier cowl model.  But my plan was a mild cafe build nothing crazy.  Will see what happens with it.  Does look like the only thing missing is the airbox, the underneath half.  I thought it looked a little bare under there and finally figured it out lol.  Im wsnting to avoid pod filters, always a pain getting tuned for those.  But would like a 4 into 1 exhaust as these sound awesome.

That one looks like a chain drive.  In the US, we had the GS1000 available in a few different configurations with chain or shaft drive.  

The bike has round slide carbs, so it should be fine with pod filters.  CV carbs can be problematic with pods.

"not worth much" is a relative term.  It might not be a hot collectors item bringing the big money, but get it running and it could turn a nice profit.  Or better yet, keep it and enjoy it, and make it yours.  A lot of the chain drive GS1000's were turned into drag racing bikes; you could have a street bike with a great engine. 

It is chain drive, from what I've read the motors should be about the same across the models with the exception of one being higher compression i believe, not sure which model that was.  The L got the 19" wheels, larger tank, bigger seat, rear fender, higher bars etc...  just a custom version of the E model.  My plan would be to chop the rear and go with a flatter seat for sure.  That alone changes the look a good bit.  Already has lower bars installed.  Maybe shorten the front fender and paint match.  I wouldn't go crazy and won't restore it, I'm not a fabricator by any means but have some buddies that build these old bikes i can get some guidance from.  Key should be in by Monday, then can get power to the bike and see if everything still works and motor turns over.  Im actually headimg out of state the 6th for a few weeks so will have to dive into it when I return.