1985 GS550L total rebuild

LeRaconteur

Hey, folks. If this is something of a duplicate post, please point me to a more established one.
I have an '85 GS550L that came to me as a rolling chassis with a motor/trans unit. I have several qurstions aboit disassembly and rebuild that are not covered in the shop manual. I also have questions about the best place to source parts.

So far in the rebuild I have the heads and block off. Eblag seems to have valve stems and springs as needed, and Babbits online has valve guides. The cylinder block will get honed this week.

Can anyone tell me what size slide hammer attachment I need to yank off the stator cup? (The bowl shaped part that holds the magnets.)

Also, what is the procedure for removing the clutch basket? The manual doesn't explain these steps well. Is there a source for new friction plates for the clutch, or can someone suggest what size I should look for aftermarket friction plates?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to OSS,

As @Captain Chaos say pop over to general and introduce yourself, put some pics up of your project (y)

Slide hammer, that's for car panels xD use the right puller and it will just pop off, if you're meaning the starter clutch (lh side of engine on end of crank)

Only use OEM clutch plates, do not use ebc they are shit.

To remove clutch, take side cover off, remove bolts holding springs out, remove pressure plate, remove clutch plates, bend back tab on lock washer in center of hub use clutch holding tool to hold clutch undo nut in center of hub, remove hub, remove center spacer use 2x M6 bolts in holes, remove bearing, remove clutch basket (y)