Fuel petcock

Apples

Well Reinhard that was my question . I was wondering if a straight feed delivers the same performance as the original vacuum system that is originally intended to be used. if there is no difference then I will surely go to a straight feed just to have a bit less to bother with.  Yours works well?   If so, I’m sold!  Is it harder to prime?  Will I wear out my starter motor getting startup fuel into the carbs? 

Edited by RickLee
34 minutes ago, RickLee said:

Well Reinhard that was my question . I was wondering if a straight feed delivers the same performance as the original vacuum system that is originally intended to be used. if there is no difference then I will surely go to a straight feed just to have a bit less to bother with.  Yours works well?   If so, I’m sold!  Is it harder to prime?  Will I wear out my starter motor getting startup fuel into the carbs? 

I would guess there wouldn't be a difference as long as the vacuum line is plugged off.  So far I have gotten mine to start with a straight fed line but it isn't running well enough to see if there is a major difference yet.  The advantage I see with the vacuum is that it shuts the fuel off when the engine is off. Outside of that, I couldn't imagine there would be a difference in performance.  

11 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Why wouldn't it run without the vacuum?

I disabled the whole vacuum thing of my GS, works like a normal tap now.

Enlighten us then - how? If a tap hasn't got an 'Off' position how do you create one? From info above this one has 'On', 'Res' and 'Prime'. both On and Reserve being vacuum operated. From my limited experience - getting them to flow fuel isn't the problem (even when its not wanted) it's stopping them (for that very reason!)

On 9/24/2020 at 8:38 AM, Apples said:

My last bike worked well with the vacuum tap too.  It worked well.  This fuel system is just getting to me.  It hasn't helped that my shop hand turns 5 this week and has been a little distracting as I've been working.  With the few minutes I messed with it last night I couldn't get the prime position to work.  I see that you have to turn it with a screwdriver a quarter turn and then turn it over to hold the valve open.  I'll try again tonight and hopefully my shop hand is busy doing something else.  

I remember those days .  My kids bugged me so much I started working my projects at night. But looking back I’m glad I was able to spend the day doting over them.

1 hour ago, RickLee said:

I remember those days .  My kids bugged me so much I started working my projects at night. But looking back I’m glad I was able to spend the day doting over them.

Normally both of my shop hands are out helping me with something.  She was just extra talkative and made it hard to concentrate that day.  She likes taking all of my pictures and videos of my work though so its always cool to look though my phone of what new pictures I have.  Helps me document my builds too.  

21 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Enlighten us then - how? If a tap hasn't got an 'Off' position how do you create one? From info above this one has 'On', 'Res' and 'Prime'. both On and Reserve being vacuum operated. From my limited experience - getting them to flow fuel isn't the problem (even when its not wanted) it's stopping them (for that very reason!)

That's pretty simple, cut threat in the right hole, use liquid gasket screw a bolt in it and flatten that off.

So while I’m waiting for parts I started on painting the side covers.  I’m going with the blue and white with black pinstripes and red Logos.   Here’s my tank... I’m going to get this dent out the best I can, fill with resin .  And use stickers probably instead of the stock Logos emblems. Quite a few coats of clear hides the decal  edges.  I lightly mist the first two coats so as not to raise or degrade the decals.

54B5EAEA-49B9-4FB3-A20B-728EB62B4FA5.jpeg

5DBEA716-5A3D-4EF8-B85F-BA01B62E9091.jpeg

Edited by RickLee