86 engine/90 rods

Romaz750R

Good evening all!

Have some situation, while overhauling engine... Need to check oil clearance on piston rods bearings. Noticed, that rods should be with nuts, bu i have rods with bolts.

Do somebody know, is that rods with bolts from 90' gsxr? Or they could meet on early models?

And main question, whats the assembly tightening torque? And initial and final tightening torque for checking oil clearance?

Also have some scratches on crankshaft. Must have grinded some bolt or nut on previous engine... is that ok or better make it balancing?

Thank you in advance(y)

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

They ain't stock rods - from any GSXR that i've seen! And marks on the crank are - I'd guess - from a failed rod, smashing its way out of the crankcases! I'd also suspect the crank hasn't been rebalanced to take account of those rods / bolts!

Edit - i've obviously not seen enough 750's LOL! - they are too small to be real engines though!)

Edited by Gixer1460
Added words
  • Like 1

just of note  the 88 and 89 short stroke motors had different size main and big end bearings and wrist pin sizes to the long stroke motors 

88 and 89 have 19mm wrist pin and 36mm big end journal where as the long stroke motors have 18mm wrist pin and 34mm big end journal

Edited by gixxerpilot
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Romaz750R said:

Good evening all!

Have some situation, while overhauling engine... Need to check oil clearance on piston rods bearings. Noticed, that rods should be with nuts, bu i have rods with bolts.

Do somebody know, is that rods with bolts from 90' gsxr? Or they could meet on early models?

And main question, whats the assembly tightening torque? And initial and final tightening torque for checking oil clearance?

Also have some scratches on crankshaft. Must have grinded some bolt or nut on previous engine... is that ok or better make it balancing?

Thank you in advance(y)

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

bit unsure of what you are asking, if you want to know if earlier model 759 conrods fit, yes but not the 88 and 89 as they were short stroke motors with different size cranks and rods, as for other conrods i do not know.

torque setting i will have to look up and post tomorrow

Clearence is determined buy a chart which uses the codes depending on crank size and crankcase size, then checked with plasti-guage on a dummy assembly for correct clearance.

Edited by gixxerpilot
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Ted M said:

I think they maybe off a water cooled GSXR 1100 I’m pretty sure they’re the same size journal as oil cooled but not sure about the length. This is for the GSXR 1100 W

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/1994/gsx-r1100w/crankshaft

https://www.megazip.ru/zapchasti-dlya-motocyklov/suzuki/gsx-r750-2301/gsx-r750-13989/gsx-r750l-j-k-l-l-768012/kolenchatyy-val-porsheni-13342943

They look like this (90 750)

2 hours ago, gixxerpilot said:

bit unsure of what you are asking, if you want to know if earlier model 759 conrods fit, yes but not the 88 and 89 as they were short stroke motors with different size cranks and rods, as for other conrods i do not know.

I'm trying to figure out if these conrods can be kept. Because, just looking at the picture, they look like from 90. And if the crankshaft for 86 and 90 is the same, then it means that i can install these?

6 hours ago, Romaz750R said:

I'm trying to figure out if these conrods can be kept. Because, just looking at the picture, they look like from 90. And if the crankshaft for 86 and 90 is the same, then it means that i can install these?

90 is a long stroke motor, the measurements confirm this and the 90 conrod will fit  both the 86 and obviously the 90 crankshafts

A word of warning, when fitting the 90 rods to the 86 crank (i assume this is what you want to do) make sure that you measure very thing and double check every thing fits correctly, this should be done regardless of using different rods etc, if you are using new parts that have not been in a motor before it is very important to check fit.

DON'T change just 1 conrond, make sure you change all 4.

Edited by gixxerpilot
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, gixxerpilot said:

90 is a long stroke motor, the measurements confirm this and the 90 conrod will fit  both the 86 and obviously the 90 crankshafts

A word of warning, when fitting the 90 rods to the 86 crank (i assume this is what you want to do) make sure that you measure very thing and double check every thing fits correctly, this should be done regardless of using different rods etc, if you are using new parts that have not been in a motor before it is very important to check fit.

DON'T change just 1 conrond, make sure you change all 4. 

Thanks!!!(y)

Of course! This conrods (all 4) are already were there, before i started overhauling. I have drove about 2000 km on this conrods/crankshaft.

This is a puzzle that the previous owner left me)) So, will do my best!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, gixxerpilot said:

Clearence is determined buy a chart which uses the codes depending on crank size and crankcase size, then checked with plasti-guage on a dummy assembly for correct clearance.

Please tell me, if i have code "A" on crankcase, which indicates size 35,000-35,008. so when i will be choosing bearing size, which number should I take into account? 35,000 or 35,008 or average between them?