Jump to content

jet question for 05 bandit 1200


Recommended Posts

i have recently purchased an 05 bandit which has had the airbox taken out and dual K&N pods put on it, it has been rejetted by the previous owner but ran like shit, to cut a long story short they had (amounst other things) fitted a kein pilot jet to the mukni carbies, so apparently the mukni carbies have two different pilot jets types depending on which carbie they are fitted to, one has a tip that mesures 2.5mm and the other has one that mesures 2.0mm, if any of you fine gentlemen could help me with which jets i should be using i would be most grateful  

 

Cheers Clive

Mikuni-Pilot-Jet-VM28486.jpg

Mikuni-Pilot-Jet-N224.103.jpg

Edited by gixxerpilot
grammar
Link to post
33 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Would it be too obvious to say remove one and measure the tip or look for the Jet type ID Ring?

the issue is the carbies had Keihn jets in Mukni carbies, i don't have a set of Mukni pilots to measure, some "expert" had worked on them before i purchased the bike, they could not get it to run right.

 

Link to post
  • gixxerpilot changed the title to jet question for 05 bandit 1200
4 hours ago, gixxerpilot said:

the issue is the carbies had Keihin jets in Mikuni carbies, i don't have a set of Mukni pilots to measure, some "expert" had worked on them before i purchased the bike, they could not get it to run right.

There's a surprise LOL!

Suggest fitting some stock size Mikuni Pilots to at least give a baseline!

Link to post

that is what i am trying to do, alas since the carbies don't have stock ones, i don't know which ones are stock, are the vm28/486 pilots the stock ones or are the n224.103 the stock ones, see first post for the pictures, i have had a hell of a time finding out what has been done to these carbies by the previous owner, i don't want to guess as to which is stock etc, whom ever worked on these carbies had no idea and took no care with them, the clip that holds the float needle on no 1 carbie was mangled, the tab for the float was way out, the carbie slide was stuffed. 

i know that the difference between the two is very small but that can make the difference between getting it right or continuing fustration

 

Cheers

Link to post

Hi Mate, I'll have a look when I get home tonight. I've just checked the manual and all that it refers to is #15 but I don't think that is much use helping you to identify the pilot jets you have. 

image.thumb.png.a8b65d8bb3e77487a2855a5eb20d6ffd.png

 

 

Edited by Ted M
Link to post
10 minutes ago, Ted M said:

Hi Mate, I'll have a look when I get home tonight. I've just checked the manual and all that it refers to is #15 but I don't think that is much use helping you to identify the pilot jets you have. 

image.thumb.png.a8b65d8bb3e77487a2855a5eb20d6ffd.png

 

 

Cheers mate, i pretty much know what jet i want to start with, but as stated they had kehin jets which are different again to the mukuni jets, that would be greatly appreciated 

Clive

 

Link to post

#15 is the info I got to on the Alpha Sports parts site. Thinking outside the box - both have a M4 thread and the bit that is different sizes must go into a drilling larger than 2 / 2.5mm but smaller than 4mm to allow fuel to flow around? If the jet size is #15 in both cases, I would suspect the variable bit will make 2/10ths of FA difference. You need to take the Keihin Pilot out and see what size orifice is below it?

Link to post
6 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

#15 is the info I got to on the Alpha Sports parts site. Thinking outside the box - both have a M4 thread and the bit that is different sizes must go into a drilling larger than 2 / 2.5mm but smaller than 4mm to allow fuel to flow around? If the jet size is #15 in both cases, I would suspect the variable bit will make 2/10ths of FA difference. You need to take the Keihin Pilot out and see what size orifice is below it?

The point i am trying to get to is that i would like to know which type of jet to use, not what size of jet, the bike has pods fitted so any suzuki manual will not have the correct size, the kehin jet is a different length etc, i really don't care what the Kehin's size etc is, what i am chasing it the CORRECT jet type to fit those carbies. BTW 2/10ths is 20hp in a 100hp motor and to me that is a big difference!

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

2/10ths of FA means 2/10ths of Fuck All.  It's one of those British measuring units nobody else undetstands. Like a gnat's cock. 

LOL i am fully aware of the meaning, and understand British humor better than most as i grew up in a British colony. the point was that 2/10ths makes fuck all difference and MY point is that if it is NOT the correct Jet the i may as well toss the carbies and start walking

 

Link to post

I’m confused now. What do you want to know? First you’re asking if they’re stock (which they aren’t). Then you’re asking which type of jet to use. A good starting point would all four pilot jets of the same size and make. Seeing as you have Mikuni carbs then I would use Mikuni pilot jets of a size that you feel to be a good starting point. Dynojet ones from the bandit 1200 kit are marked as JM 018 which work well for the state of tune of your bike. 
mikuni standard pilot jets for your bike are marked like this:DE8C6918-E2D2-404E-9EE7-D3C0E90F432F.thumb.jpeg.42faa40a684db93b644eacc691177f4a.jpeg

the width of the nozzle of the jet I measured as 2.47 mm

hope this helps

 

DF7201DB-96B0-44DB-BD3F-56116A1C4CE8.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
11 hours ago, gixxerpilot said:

The point i am trying to get to is that i would like to know which type of jet to use, not what size of jet, the bike has pods fitted so any suzuki manual will not have the correct size, the kehin jet is a different length etc, i really don't care what the Kehin's size etc is, what i am chasing it the CORRECT jet type to fit those carburfuckingettors. 

You are either not understanding or refusing to listen to the advice - you need a baseline to get the carbs working properly - not correct, just working. If you want correct via internet tuning then good luck with someone's best guess otherwise get yourself down to a dyno and do it properly. But you'll still have to fit some jets regardless which if swapped during a dyno tune, you may or may not get charged for them. Otherwise you may as well throw them in the bin and buy some new ones!

Link to post
45 minutes ago, Ted M said:

I’m confused now. What do you want to know? First you’re asking if they’re stock (which they aren’t). Then you’re asking which type of jet to use. A good starting point would all four pilot jets of the same size and make. Seeing as you have Mikuni carbs then I would use Mikuni pilot jets of a size that you feel to be a good starting point. Dynojet ones from the bandit 1200 kit are marked as JM 018 which work well for the state of tune of your bike. 
mikuni standard pilot jets for your bike are marked like this:DE8C6918-E2D2-404E-9EE7-D3C0E90F432F.thumb.jpeg.42faa40a684db93b644eacc691177f4a.jpeg

the width of the nozzle of the jet I measured as 2.47 mm

hope this helps

 

DF7201DB-96B0-44DB-BD3F-56116A1C4CE8.jpeg

i was saying that what is in there is not stock or even supposed to be in there ie kiehn jet in a mukuni carb, wanting to know what the correct jet was, as shown in the first post the two options, ie what is supposed to be in there. the kehin is nothing like what should be in there and as such i had no reference point to start. what you have shown me is exactly the information that i need, it the jets with the band and 2.5 nozzle is the correct on for the carburfuckingettors, now i can start on tuning it for the pods.

Thank you for your time and effort, it is greatly appreciated.

 

Cheers Cive

Link to post
14 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

You are either not understanding or refusing to listen to the advice - you need a baseline to get the carbs working properly - not correct, just working. If you want correct via internet tuning then good luck with someone's best guess otherwise get yourself down to a dyno and do it properly. But you'll still have to fit some jets regardless which if swapped during a dyno tune, you may or may not get charged for them. Otherwise you may as well throw them in the bin and buy some new ones!

i understand perfectly, you are giving advice without even knowing what has been done to the bike, You are the one not understanding, when i got the bike it ran like shit, i striped the carburfuckingettors and found that who ever had it before me had Kehin pilot jets in it, the Kehin jets are vastly different to the Mukuni jets, when looking for jets the two that i showed at the top of the page are the options for the cabies that i have, yes there is very little difference in them, and you and many others may not worry about the difference, however i prefer to fit the correct type of jet to the carburfuckingettors. Your choice to use incorrect or improper parts with a close enough is good enough attitude, i on the other hand choose to at least fit the correct jet type to the carburfuckingettors so as to eliminate any chance of them not operating properly. If the way i described what i was after in an ambiguous manner a simple question would have cleared matters up.

Link to post

Why do you keep harking on about the Keihin jets - we all know they are wrong so throw the fuckers in a bin and move on!

With them removed, either of the two you've shown will fit and thanks to Ted M, the stock jet is shown above - it has the identification groove so buy 4 of those and fit them. You will now have a set of carbs that work and can be tuned - they may not be 'correct' but at only £7-8 each you ain't going to bankrupt yourself.

  • Like 2
Link to post
3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Why do you keep harking on about the Keihin jets - we all know they are wrong so throw the fuckers in a bin and move on!

With them removed, either of the two you've shown will fit and thanks to Ted M, the stock jet is shown above - it has the identification groove so buy 4 of those and fit them. You will now have a set of carbs that work and can be tuned - they may not be 'correct' but at only £7-8 each you ain't going to bankrupt yourself.

 

On 9/17/2020 at 4:05 PM, Gixer1460 said:

Would it be too obvious to say remove one and measure the tip or look for the Jet type ID Ring?

because you were telling me to remove a jet that is compleatly incorrect for the carbi  and measure it. i don't have the correct jets to look at  and Jet type ID ring, hence asking which JET was the correct jet.

As a side note, i find the first part of your signature interesting  ("Racing is Life! Anything that comes before or after is just waiting!" - Good motto for Life. )  as a person that has raced in many different fields and as a sports man i can say that is just not true, if all you are doing is just waiting before and after you are not doing it right, there is endless preparation, development, review, servicing, modification, cleaning, packing, the list going on and on. 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...