Road Legal Exhaust

Ash

One of my Kats has had to go through the Manx Test (similar to an MOT) as it's been off the road, and unregistered for a couple of years (we don't have a yearly MOT). It failed on a couple of minor issues, but the main fail was on the exhaust, it has a cut down Marving 'Race' exhaust fitted, which I had forgotton isn't road legal. The examiner said it produced 112 dba where the fail was anything above 98 dba. So now I've either got to find a road legal silencer to fit on the Marving 60mm pipe or fit a whole new road legal system just to get it trough the test, after which the Marving will go back on.

Thoughts?

marving.jpg

Edited by Ash
3 minutes ago, slayer61 said:

I went through this a bunch of years ago. A letter from the local motorcycle dealer stating that the current exhaust was, in fact, OEM did the trick. 

Although BS may work at MOT time - they don't use noise meters so why try arguing the toss - hold your hands up and just toe the line. Inconvenient ? yes, but if you get the ticket your golden! Regulation level in the UK for new bikes is between 82 and 86db and police may give some slack upto 90db for 'wear & tear' So the Manx ministry man is being more than generous @ 98db!

I know my mot man who has mot'ed my kat for the last 3 years, give me a advisory for noise exhaust. Dose not take a reading of dB (never had a mot place take a dB reading) and just says "I have not got or seen a bike like yours to compare it to" (kat with oil cooled motor) 

Can you put 1 or 2 dB killers in your exhaust?

Can you weld? I may have a old end can that you could weld some 60mm pipe to.

I always say, it's not loud enough till small children run away with there hands over the ears and the old woman at the street corner shack's here head in discussed as you go past :D

Edited by wraith
  • Like 3

112 is mega loud. My guess is there is no way of standardising noise measurements for mots or similar, and it's the same for track days. Different bikes, different meters, different revs when measurement taken, different people using the different meters and so on so '112' could be a completely different figure somewhere else. Just make an mot baffle and remove it after the test has been passed.

I once had a bike that failed a 105db track day limit and it had a stock system fitted so the operator was very red faced when someone (not me) pointed this out. It passed when the operator just told me to 'not use so many revs this time.' How scientific......

Edited by Dezza

It's a little different on the Isle of Man, we don't have MOT Test Centres over here. This is a Government Test Centre, mostly used for vehicles that are brought into the Island that are over three years old, they have to be tested to make sure they are road worthy and comply with regulations depending on the age of the vehicle.

All my bikes have undergone the test, as they were brought over from the UK and passed, but over the years parts have been replaced. Unfortunately two of my Kats have been off the road for a few years so they have to undergo the test again. The second one is booked in for the test in a couple of weeks, that passed with its exhaust last time, so hopefully it will this time and if it does, I'll swap that exhaust onto the other kat and put it in for a retest, hopefully that will save me having to buy a silencer or system. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So Kat 3 went in for its test on Monday and passed. Examiner thought the twin cut down JAMA system was really quiet, there were a few advisories which I have dealt with.

Kat 1 which failed on the exhaust is now sporting a black chromed Harris System, which has been in the loft for the past eight years or so. It's meant to have a road legal baffle on it, so hopefully it will get through the test in a couple of weeks.

image.thumb.png.44abd3a3d6c9fe1699cb68a948a2b1cf.png

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...