Has anyone done this ???

Mouse

Hi 

I am trying to use my 78 GS750 frame and engine and fit a bandit 12 swing arm and wheel into the frame.

Has anyone on here done this combination ???, i know people have used the gs frame and fitted various swingarms and wheels but most seem to use a different engine.

The reason i ask is that everything i try seems to not work for one reason or another, for example most people seem to need to use a offset drive sprocket but on my bike the wheel sprocket needs to be moved inboard and then looks like if i do this the chain will foul the frame, also got some top hat spacers  specifically to fit the b12 swingarm into the gs frame, problem with this is the spacers need 2mm taken of them as they are to wide and also the hole in the spacers is about 4mm to big for the gs swingarm spindle.

So now i am wondering if this combination is possible or am i looking at some large scale frame work to achieve this 

Thank you

Mouse.

6 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

f the GS750 frame, swinger is the same as the GS1000, then it fits, you need to get yourself some spacers.

Ah but that seems to be my problem, the frames are different part numbers and I bought some top hat spacers sold to fit bandit arm to gs frame, problem is the person who made them used a gs1000 pivot bolt as a pattern and just assumed all gs's are the same, there not, 750 16mm pivot bolt, 1000 18mm pivot bolt.

I think there are some frame differences as well mainly around the rear engine mount area, I managed to fit the swingarm and wheel and lined up the wheel so it was straight and like this the chain would run straight through the frame tube, it looks like I will have to have the sprocket carrier machined down and also a offset front sprocket, even then I don't know how much of a offset front sprocket I can use because of the sprocket and the clutch mechanism being so close together as another post pointed out recently.

It seems that the gs thou is the way to go BUT I don't have a gs thou :), this is why I was hoping someone had used a 750, but I am starting to see why not.

4 hours ago, wraith said:

There's a post just below asking a simmer question but for bush/spacer size don't know if you have seen it or if it's any help ;)

Not really, but thanks anyway (y), just seems to be another 750 owner struggling along the same path, maybe we could all get together and have a pity party to console each other xD.

• Like 1

There are 3 things you could do with the swing arm pivot spindle problem,

1. Drill out your frame pivot to 18mm 

2. Drill out to the b12 20mm size

3. Have new top hats/spacers made to the size you need.

Chain run, 

How much into the frame dose the chain go? If it just a couple of mm have a look at using a 520 pitch chain, take it your using a 530 at the moment.

Different frame and engine but on my kat (750 import frame with 1127 oil cooled motor) I found the 530 chain just rubbed to frame, I've put a 520 chain on and it clears with about 2-3mm, I can get a pic of the 2 chains of the thickness of them if that would be helpful, as my kat runs a 520 and my et runs a 530 my GS is shaft drive so that won't help xD

I'm doing (among others) a gs550 with a 180 rear wheel and had to cut out about 3mm out of the frame and replate it so the chain can run ok.

• Like 1

Hi

2 hours ago, 370steve said:

I put a B12 swing arm/wheel in a GS750 frame with a b6 motor, 520 chain and 180 tyre without too much trouble

I know (y), I have read your build thread on this many times :), mainly for the swingarm bits, but i am trying to keep to the original engine like the fool i am.

wraith, thanks for the info and pics, everything helps, found a local old man with a lathe today who is making new top hats for about 20 quid, so result there, don't have a chain sorted at the moment but it looks like i will have to go as narrow as possible,  but most of the offset sprockets i come across are 530 pitch but i think 520 is the way to go.

2 hours ago, wraith said:

I'm doing (among others) a gs550 with a 180 rear wheel and had to cut out about 3mm out of the frame and replate it so the chain can run ok

Yep this is also my plan, but at the moment the chain would run straight through the frame tube and as the tube is 28mm thick i would need to move the front out 14mm and the rear 14mm in to line up :o, and if your clutch operating mechanism is the same as mine (which i think it is) you will know how little front sprocket movement there is, i might have to have a far bit machined of the sprocket carrier but i can only go so far because of pushing the chain to close to the tyre, can i ask what wheel/sprocket carrier you have please ???.

Thanks all

Mouse

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Mouse said:

Ah but that seems to be my problem, the frames are different part numbers and I bought some top hat spacers sold to fit bandit arm to gs frame, problem is the person who made them used a gs1000 pivot bolt as a pattern and just assumed all gs's are the same, there not, 750 16mm pivot bolt, 1000 18mm pivot bolt.

I think there are some frame differences as well mainly around the rear engine mount area, I managed to fit the swingarm and wheel and lined up the wheel so it was straight and like this the chain would run straight through the frame tube, it looks like I will have to have the sprocket carrier machined down and also a offset front sprocket, even then I don't know how much of a offset front sprocket I can use because of the sprocket and the clutch mechanism being so close together as another post pointed out recently.

It seems that the gs thou is the way to go BUT I don't have a gs thou :), this is why I was hoping someone had used a 750, but I am starting to see why not.

Not really, but thanks anyway (y), just seems to be another 750 owner struggling along the same path, maybe we could all get together and have a pity party to console each other xD.

I did not machine the carrier, but I might have turned the bush down between wheel and carrier to get it closer to the wheel, but I'm not too sure, it's about 13 years ago that I did it.

I did let the chain run as close to the rear tyre as possible, 170 tyre, wider is not possible I think.

Yes, you need an off set sprocket, I made mine fit by making another spacer behind the front sprocket.

Best is to use a laser aligner, you get close with other methodes, but laser is most acurate, put laser on front sprocket.

Chain will fit, close, but it fits.

If the clutch is a problem, convert it to hydraulic, make yourself a sprocket cover, and be creative.

I made the clutch of my 1000 hydraulic

Edited by Reinhoud
  • Like 1

Hi

Good build thread wrath but different engine to me :(.

11 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

If the clutch is a problem, convert it to hydraulic, make yourself a sprocket cover, and be creative.

Well this could be the way to go, got hold of a old knackered cover so i can cut it about to see if i can make it work, got a wanted add out far a slave but nothing yet. 

Just out of curiosity how did your convert yours to hydraulic, ??? not sure your  version would work for me as my pushrod is on the sprocket side and i think yours is opposite side but all ideas help.

Also got a laser today and waiting for new top hats so i can fit the swingarm properly, had it suggested to me today that a gs1000 sprocket carrier might help as it is slimmer than the bandit one, so found a cheap one and waiting for that as well.

Hoping for good weather next week to try various ideas out.

Mouse.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, wraith said:

Think I mite have a clutch slave cylinder somewhere, I will have a look when I get in the garage

That would be good, beer token's would be sent (y)

11 hours ago, wraith said:

now you say something about a different cush drive than the standard gs500 swap

Don't understand this bit ???. I haven't mentioned a gs500, are you saying there is a standard gs500 swop for what I am trying to do ??.

Also my using a different online parts shop I have just found that the gs750 sprocket carrier is the same part number as the gs1000 one so don't need to buy one to try that idea now.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mouse said:

That would be good, beer token's would be sent (y)

Don't understand this bit ???. I haven't mentioned a gs500, are you saying there is a standard gs500 swop for what I am trying to do ??.

A lot of people have used the gs500 sprocket carrier on gsxr wheels to get the sprocket nearer the wheel, but there was a thread a while ago saying the gs500 carrier dose not fit the b12 wheel.

5 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

I took what I got to a motorcycle wreckers and had a look around, took what I liked, and what sort of fitted, or what was able to make it fit

Ah, the good old days when you could spend hour's rummaging around and then forget what you went there for to start with.

Unfortunately the last bike breakers around by me where you could do this closed several years ago :(

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mouse said:

Ah, the good old days when you could spend hour's rummaging around and then forget what you went there for to start with.

Unfortunately the last bike breakers around by me where you could do this closed several years ago :(

Like those top hats, not sure what your possibilties are, but you should make them on the spot, where your frame and swinger are present, and make it to fit where a lathe is present.

1 hour ago, Mouse said:

+1 on that, the last good one I new was Cheshire Salvage, but they then went Eblag based and would not sell anything over the counter :(

Your gs carrier should bring the chain in by about 4mm compared to a a bandit or gsxr one , when you convert to a 530 chain a 6mm spacer is supplied to go behind the front sprocket ,use this with a 5/8 offset sprocket from debben , job done . It's tight but a miss is a miss .

Don't forget to alter sprockets sizes for chain conversion (y)

• Like 2