Need help with Bandit 1200 Turbo carb

Hanks

Is my first time doing a Turbo motorcycle, it was always a dream to own one PS: my English is kind bad so excuse me if i write something wrong

Bought a Bandit 1200S 2000 with 41k miles

1ad76b73-c022-4719-a110-beb81df3a3cf.thumb.jpg.f5d695955b319522503ac317f7490845.jpg

I got a Turbo kit for my B12, and some Hayabusa pistons, bought new OEM needles and springs because it had different parts

266f67cf-f4e4-4969-8611-dc2930a51db1.thumb.jpg.766a4a66d8304925438864c1944108e6.jpgc02bd198-5a59-49e6-b430-5939c9c66fd9.thumb.jpg.238ab9c8da378d2b2260f46edd7b2aa3.jpg

replaced the gauge for a TFT one

71111ab2-d569-4f25-9248-ff06cb7d8938.thumb.jpg.bb050d048c7e9a949271c50bb9ab8221.jpg

But now comes the worst part... When i got everything installed the return was a little restrictive because i used the breathing tube from the gas tank and gas started to go inside the plenum and inside the turbo, was a huge mess, the floor was full of gas... then i cleaned it up, even cut the tube even shorter

118967407_1064057827342445_3735279206748143011_n.thumb.png.02280884dcb33ba23723ae956a7f8f66.png

tested the fuel pressure without the gas tank 2psi, then tested again with return connected to the gas tank, 2 psi too. 

https://youtu.be/I-AWrZDpkQY

119030004_362320228129239_962202237810287636_n.thumb.png.1c9933f4e1612a0a1bafefd5847667e8.png

but the motorcycle was still not running well...

then i removed the carburetor and checked the float weight, they were not aligned, so i didn't know how to check the height because the float surface is not flap, so i didn't know how to setup, so i only made the float line parallel with the body, i even used a caliper to make sure that the front and back were at the same height

float.thumb.JPG.1373d2784f1aac738dd1350f8e237ac9.JPG

but the bike still running bad... I'm tired and frustrated, i would really appreciate some help

btw, the oil pump is sideways, is that ok? because even to i let the pump run for a few seconds after i stop, the oil still drips to the floor, and is a very dark oil, i think it is oil with gas, but I'm not 100% sure

3269e94a-0e40-4f98-888f-70fd27acd644.thumb.jpg.edd63daf48d8d3dd157641cbe5d07551.jpg118694023_3736464783047558_1740847730401745513_n.thumb.png.8a29ce3864b99abe9a7001dbc9aeff98.png

Thank you

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Hi and welcome on OSS. Solid first post, with lots of pics. We like pics. 

I can not help you with your turbo problems however i can advise you to introduce yourself properly in general chat. We like to know who we talk to. 

Just posted my introduction, thank you 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, clivegto said:

From memory float height wants to be 14mm, measure in middle of the float as float opens. Float valve  have little springs on them. You can rotat the carbs to see this working need to be set as these are just about to open. 

Yeah I did that, just didn’t measure the height, just placed then aligned to the body

9 hours ago, Hanks said:

But now comes the worst part... When i got everything installed the return was a little restrictive because i used the breathing tube from the gas tank and gas started to go inside the plenum and inside the turbo, was a huge mess, the floor was full of gas... then i cleaned it up, even cut the tube even shorter

118967407_1064057827342445_3735279206748143011_n.thumb.png.02280884dcb33ba23723ae956a7f8f66.png

I'm a bit confused as I thought Blandits tank breather was through the gas cap? That hole is normally the fuel gauge and if that pipe has been fitted in that hole its non standard. As said the pipe should go above fuel level - at all times - if being used as a carb breather!

Turbo bikes aren't 'plug and play' - really you need to start with a bike that runs good NA, then big bore it, then when that is running ok, turbo it! You seem to have a lot of problems that could be caused by a lot of things ........ maybe take a step back, take turbo kit off and get it running half decent first?

6 hours ago, Wee Man said:

Your fuel return pipe needs to be higher than the fuel level in the tank, otherwise fuel will drain back out via this pipe. 

The fuel return is using this pipe, so I don’t need to weld another return, the return needs to be under the fuel level, no? So it doesn’t create bubbles that can be sucked by the fuel pump

4 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I'm a bit confused as I thought Blandits tank breather was through the gas cap? That hole is normally the fuel gauge and if that pipe has been fitted in that hole its non standard. As said the pipe should go above fuel level - at all times - if being used as a carb breather!

Turbo bikes aren't 'plug and play' - really you need to start with a bike that runs good NA, then big bore it, then when that is running ok, turbo it! You seem to have a lot of problems that could be caused by a lot of things ........ maybe take a step back, take turbo kit off and get it running half decent first?

Yes they are, they go all the way under the tank to the gas cap, I cut it so I can use the tube for a turn left, is not a carb breather anymore

yeah, I thought about that, unfortunately now is too late, I don’t have another exhaust... I still can try to run the bike without the fuel pump and everything, maybe I’m going to do that, start over

4 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I just reread what I wrote - and it doesn't make any sense ! ! ! Why would anyone vent their carbs to the fuel tank ! DOH! If this was a EFI system then yes the bypassed fuel return would go back to the tank, even a high pressure pump with regulator and back to tank - either way they should be above fuel level otherwise a syphon could occur when shut off which would backfill the carb and into the engine ! ! ! 

Don't know about Blandits but on a GSXR the pipe that goes from the gas filler well, through the tank to drain out the bottom is a water drain not a tank vent - I know this as I cut mine, blocked the well drain at the top and use the bottom connection for my EFI fuel return!

Edited by Gixer1460
Just now, Gixer1460 said:

I just reread what I wrote - and it doesn't make any sense ! ! ! Why would anyone vent their carbs to the fuel tank ! DOH! If this was a EFI system then yes the bypassed fuel return would go back to the tank, even a high pressure pump with regulator and back to tank - either way they should be above fuel level otherwise a syphon could occur when shut off which would backfill the carb and into the engine ! ! ! 

But I do have a fuel pump and a regulator, then the return is using this tube for a fuel return, just like a EFI system

I didn't word what I meant about the fuel return very well - where you are connecting the return to the bottom of the tank is fine, but the pipe you have inside the tank is too short. It needs to be longer so the end of it is higher than the fuel level.  You are returning fuel back into the tank - not sucking it out.

9 minutes ago, Wee Man said:

I didn't word what I meant about the fuel return very well - where you are connecting the return to the bottom of the tank is fine, but the pipe you have inside the tank is too short. It needs to be longer so the end of it is higher than the fuel level.  You are returning fuel back into the tank - not sucking it out.

Just to add the return needs to be bigger than the tap outlet so there is no restriction at all. 

1 hour ago, clivegto said:

Just to add the return needs to be bigger than the tap outlet so there is no restriction at all. 

I never experienced any problems - Regular Pingle out, 8mm pump in, 6mm regulator outlet to (maybe 4/5mm) tank return. It was a fairly forceful return as you could hear it hitting the underside of the tank top! I worked with what I had - pointless butchering a good tank if ghetto solution works - which it does LOL!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, clivegto said:

Thats true!!

Write google "proboost tank adapter" and you find part of solution on this problem. Return do not need to be higher than fuel level, i dont. I use malpass regulator and that tank adapter, i also drilled all adapter holes to 6mm.. I recommend that you chance a new o-rings on needle valve seats first.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 7:54 AM, clivegto said:

From memory float height wants to be 14mm, measure in middle of the float as float opens. Float valve  have little springs on them. You can rotat the carbs to see this working need to be set as these are just about to open. 

I thought you measured from the top of the float myself. all the manuals say that. i usually make a float height tool using the lid of a chinese takeaway lid/ 14mm seems right mind.

Bear in mind seeing as you'll have installed a fuel pressure regular and a return plus the pump you will need likely to set the float heights a mm higher than normal so they technically close earlier.

float height bandit 1.png

float height bandit 2.png

Edited by Gpz1100_Convert
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Chadillac said:

Where in the states are you? Looks like a kit from Pete. I have one also 

Hi, yeah it was a Pete kit, but i got tired of if, it was running fine in the end, but carburetor is not for me. So I’m starting to build another turbo setup with gtx2860r gen 2 and fuel injection 

66CEC175-D487-4A07-888B-C9B9C1C5A77C.jpeg

• Like 1