Offset sprocket not possible with gs750/850??

gorbys

So today was gonna be the day I got to test my new build, just had to refit the sprocket and clutch release cover and refit carbs. But no. The new sprocket and chain fouls the cover, there isn't enough room for an offset chain and sprocket. 

I'm running a 15mm offset sprocket. 

So is it not possible or do you modify the cover by cutting out the clutch release portion of the cover and rewelding it further outwards or what? Pictures would be nice

So as you can see from the part picture, the cover is not just a cover, it also holds the clutch release mechanism (which is on the right side on the gs/gsx-1xxx and therefore of no concern on that engine) inside the little cover. 

That part overlaps the sprocket, with little clearance, so if you move the sprocket and chain outwards, it will foul on that part of the casing. So in my case there's aprox 15-16mm clearance between the cover and the engine casing it's supposed to sit flush with. 

Red is the casing for  the clutch release and green is sprocket. 

Screenshot_20200910-182333.png

Screenshot_20200910-182905~2.png

Hi

I am looking to do the same with my 78 GS750 and have found the same problem, one of my thoughts at the moment is to have a ally extension piece made to space out the cover and then use a longer pushrod.

Can i ask what swingarm and wheel are you using to need a 15mm offset ??

Mouse.

25 minutes ago, Mouse said:

Hi

I am looking to do the same with my 78 GS750 and have found the same problem, one of my thoughts at the moment is to have a ally extension piece made to space out the cover and then use a longer pushrod.

Can i ask what swingarm and wheel are you using to need a 15mm offset ??

Mouse.

That's certainly an option but check that your gear selector rod is also long enough for you to do that.

Bandit 1200 swingarm and 5.5J wheel

I'm not gonna do anything more about this as I have an 1100 engine sitting in storage that's going in but It would be nice to see if someone else had solved this

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Toecutter said:

Spacer plate. 6mm thick for 10mm offset sprocket. Thicker plate for wider offset sprocket needed. Longer push rod also required to allow for extra room in this case 6mm. 

IMG_20240306_175208_burst_01.jpg

And gear change shaft easy to extend, if needed.