1992 GSXR-W. Non-starter

Hi guys.

Need some help. 

Only had a stripped down bike for a couple of months. 

Rode it about 100 miles over the weekend. Left it parked up in garage.

One week later,  it simply won't start. Sounded like putt putt putting on one or two cylinders.

All electrics seem to be all working. Neutral light on. Turns over strongly. 

Oil pressure switch wire had come off but I've put a new connector on and refitted.

Taken tank off and checked HT leads and plugs.  All look good. 

Put auxiliary fuel tank straight to carbs. 

Checked fuses. 

Not firing on any now. 

Any sensors or switches that would stop it firing?  

ECU.?  Hope not only had it a few weeks. Am I that unlucky?  Hmmmm. 

Thanks in advance. 

If no spark I would charge the battery, and retry for spark. If the voltage goes too low while cranking the ignition does not work. Change the plugs if they are fouled with carbon. If the headlights cannot be turned off pull the plugs on the globes to give you more current to start the engine. If you do get it started check that the alternator is charging. Simple test for ignition is to wiggle a screwdriver in the air gap between the pickup and rotor with the ignition on . . . it triggers the spark. If the ignition does not work you will have to get a manual, as suggested.

Edited by wombat258
typo
9 hours ago, Askamaskinservice said:

If you can't take the pissing, tough luck.

I have a watercooled 1100R too, never ever mention it as nothing but a donorbike, as is the GSX1100F.

Aircooled and watercooled is what this is about, have you read the fucking rules???

As Vizman said in his most humble way, BAFM, RTFM.

Do you have spark?

Check with your timinglight.

//Hasse.

I don't mind a piss take,  can't be faking doing with dicks ignoring you ask for help and telling to go buy a book or take it to a garage. 

Will double check spark,  but can't see both coils packing up,  can you?  Cheers. 

People were helping by telling you to read the manual. 

The reason you probably didn't get an instant response, as its generally the done thing to RTFR and introduce yourself in the general section, with some pics of your bike.  It tends to let folk you are serious about staying on OSS and won't just fuck off when you get the information you're after. 

• Like 2

Err hello and all of the above. but if you like , check the loom and connector on the front right side of the bike under the faring trim thingy. just below the right  handle bar. you will need to know which way to turn the screw driver handle thingy.  

i see Vizman is still on form. nice.

laters.

• Like 1
On 9/6/2020 at 8:28 PM, Mid-life-crisis said:

Hi guys.

Need some help. 

Only had a stripped down bike for a couple of months. 

Rode it about 100 miles over the weekend. Left it parked up in garage.

One week later,  it simply won't start. Sounded like putt putt putting on one or two cylinders.

All electrics seem to be all working. Neutral light on. Turns over strongly. 

Oil pressure switch wire had come off but I've put a new connector on and refitted.

Taken tank off and checked HT leads and plugs.  All look good. 

Put auxiliary fuel tank straight to carbs. 

Checked fuses. 

Not firing on any now. 

Any sensors or switches that would stop it firing?  

ECU.?  Hope not only had it a few weeks. Am I that unlucky?  Hmmmm. 

Thanks in advance. 

There are plenty of forums where people will shout out random things for you to try.  If you have ever seen a good mechanic working through a well worn diagnostic routine. It starts out very basically and then gradually hones in on the problem.

An engine needs fuel, air, compression and a spark.   So which of these are present and which of these are not? Once you establish that you can determine why one or more of these  is not present by examining the sytems that provide it.

Let's say for instance there is no spark.  It could be, plugs, leads coils. pick ups, safety cut outs or ECU. The manual has a list of values  that allow you to test if these components are in spec with a meter. Appart from the ECU.

So I would start by establishing which of the critical requirements for engine start up is missing and work from there.

• Like 4