Jumpy rev counter

Rochy111

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a wiring diagram then it’s pretty self explanatory..... rh crank signal to the cdi, cdi to the tach. The tach generally has three terminals one is a switched live, one is a signal from the cdi and the other is an earth. Any of theses feeds/earth might be at fault, dodgy connector, damaged wire, bad earth etc...

sometimes aftermarket rev counters take their feed from the + coil terminal 

As it's only when you're riding it, I'd say it's nothing complicated than a worn old taco, my kat one has been doing it for years, reads fine till I go over a bump then it jumps about then settles down.

But on the UK roads that's not for long, as the UK could not lay a smooth good road it there life depended on it xD are road mender's think you put some tarmac on a road hit it with a spad one and that's a good job hit it twice that's a great job O.o rant over, I will now get my coat xD

10 hours ago, Dezza said:

The Y/B wire goes from the CDI to one coil and has a T in it to feed the signal to the tacho. At least it does on both my air and oil cooled bikes.

Not sure how they work then as most Suzuki tacho's need two pulses to 'count' correctly ie. both coils, hence why the ignition module is used.

Slabsides are wired the same as in the diagram, and they have oil cooled engines:) Unfortuntely, the OEM manual doesn't have a simplified ignition circuit diagram as does the efe manual.

I do accept that other oil cooled bikes may use different clocks/wiring. However, I do use one from a 600 teapot as a 'test' unit, so as far as I know that works the same as efe, slabby:)

Get your magnifying glasses out: the B/Y feeds the tacho from a T to one of the coils as does the efe.

slab wiring.jpg

Edited by Dezza
Pedantry
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Dezza said:

Slabsides are wired the same as in the diagram, and they have oil cooled engines:) Unfortuntely, the OEM manual doesn't have a simplified ignition circuit diagram as does the efe manual.

I do accept that other oil cooled bikes may use different clocks/wiring. However, I do use one from a 600 teapot as a 'test' unit, so as far as I know that works the same as efe, slabby:)

Get your magnifying glasses out: the B/Y feeds the tacho from a T to one of the coils as does the efe.

slab wiring.jpg

Fair enough. (y)

All the slingshots and bandits have a separate feed though.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...