1982 gs1100gl dirty suzi

dassteen

rescue bike i picked up . heads have been ported &polished. manifolds were also opened up to same dia. but were cracked  &starting to delaminate . replaced w/new old manifolds.dont know what else was done. there is a #45 pilot jet, original is supposed to be a #40. have mix screw @1 1/2 turns . starts well, idles good, revs good ,   bogs  a little .  try to drive bogs big time. no power letting out clutch . pull in  clutch and i can red line.   too rich   .        what is starting position on jet needle  clip ?   that sounds like the issue,  m thinking someone moved the clip down . i would like some info before i start . and can anyone tell me what model carbs i have it is 1982 gs 1100 gl  model. CLYMERS MANUAL SAYS  BS34      float height is about .850 w/gasket  within specs float needles look ok , springs feel a little soft , but that is kinda relative . they all feel the same, no flooding.any thing else to look for ? 

regarding  post from other day , another thing i found plugs are    ngk  b9es       manual calls for  ngk b8es    anyone know if the b9es is a hotter plug..     and what is procedure for moving clip on jet needle.   still would like info on previous post

Edited by Wee Man

put new plugs, in look a little rich, # 2 dont  look like it fired at all. fuel mix screw is 1 turn out. this pic is from once around block.carbs comin off agin,didnt bother to look at size of main jet . pilot is #45 upped from #40. does not look like anything has been moved in /re to position of clip on jet needle .  is there an adjustment for jet needle? what is procedure ? if i do will need some long circlip pliers.  .  and who made the comment about  " looks doable "   previous pics are finished product.  check out custom  " clothes hanger" gauge mounts, no really thats what i used.  also custom exhaust.. eventually side panels. once carbs are right bike is finished.  i like rats       thanks russ750   fer the link to zeus  think i spelt it right.  oh plugs r in reverse order #2 is the clean one

IMG_0612.JPG

mark 35    what is  rtfr?   im old i dont get out much or really give or really give a shit about anything. like to tinker its  an illness   machinist   hate to type an takin pics is pain in ass as i gotta use my camera  load to computer etc.    i gotta startrek phone. please have mercy if i don send lots  o pics

carbs off agin   pilot is #45 book calls for #40   , air jet#170    stock size  .  can find no numbers on any of the main jets ???   book calls out #115  how can i identify?  any help , thanks.   sorry im not big on intros   fn old guy.   not looking for a date , just need some info. thanks .     dave. 

So it looks like it was dragged out of a lake, its had DIY 'porting', more than likely guesstimated jetting (which is obviously wrong), pod filters, suspect electrics, the wrong plugs - have I missed anything? Oh and its a shaftie! Start at the beginning with basics - get the carbs function correct as designed ie. #40 pilots and 115? mains and yes all needles have grooves to set their height (and based on everything else - your are likely to be wrong!) Set all the adjustments ie. mixture screws as the manual - usually 1.5 - 2 turns out. New correct plugs. Find out why #2 isn't firing. And for gods sake - jet wash the damn thing - it makes fault finding a whole lot easier!

• Like 2

crappy pics , none of the main jets have any  id# ??? have never seen jet without.  i put a scope on all parts and no#  on face or dia.  any advice there . are there any charts that call the dia.  so i can check w/ gauge pins.  will be looking for #40 pilots.  air jet is #170  they didnt change that.  i would like to id the main before i piss away any $ without knowing what i got now.  coil looks   nfg .  i did see visible spark . but still guessin that pic aint a good thing.   best place to look for new , or used ??    . ports look neat, still dont know what was done . clutch feels stiffer than my stock suzi . gotta another 82 gs 1100gl  all stock 30k mi. & a 78 led wing. but i digress,   any chance i can use a set of gold wing coils / i gotta axe cause $ tight.  thanks.    dave

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

As @Gixer1460 says, do yourself a favor ,  start at the beginning, get the carbs ultrasonic cleaned, change all seals,  check the float height,  emulsion tubes,needles,check slide diaphragms, check carb rubbers, fuel lines and vac line, replace as necessary, clean out the tank, clean out pet cock, fresh clean fuel, as in put the carbs back to a good standard condition and then at least you have a base line to work from.

if the mains have no markings, don't try and guess the size of them, throw them in the bin and buy new, as you won't know what they are and no one else will either.

change the plugs, plug caps, check the cam timing, change the oil and filter before attempting to start basically check everything.

maybe that will fix the non running on one of the cylinders, if it does balance the carbs, check the ignition timing and adjust as per the manual.

for carb balancing it does not matter what mains are in it  for balancing.

115 ish mains and 40 pilots is about  about right.

looking at the state of it the clutch cable is probably seized.

coils look normal to me, but show them a rag and check connections and make sure they are clean

there isn't a magic fix and guessing won't help, work through it methodically and solve one problem at a time.

oh and ffs give it a wash, and............. an introduction in the general section!

• Like 1

ok posted  intro.   still    anybody know where i can find chart for dia. of jets  relative to # flow rate?  i gotta find out what i got in unmarked mains, just for my ocd  .   even if i dont make my own, time and boredom vs $ . right now $10 each hurts,  mains are easy  will buy # 40 pilots, more pain in the ass. and yes i have the technology.  rebuilt fuel valve, gas tank is clean {inside} , clutch aint seized, springs feel stiffer than stock. put new plugs in have dove around block  red lined 1st went, through gears . and yes will be sorting out coil issue, dont like the way seal around wire to coil looks, will check connections n stuff.  do wanna replace o rings on fuel mixture screws .  look like 1mm/cs x 3mm   yes? .  will keep posted as i get parts .  i wiped off the gauges, lookin spiffy.  

On 8/27/2020 at 7:17 PM, Gixer1460 said:

So it looks like it was dragged out of a lake, its had DIY 'porting', more than likely guesstimated jetting (which is obviously wrong), pod filters, suspect electrics, the wrong plugs - have I missed anything? Oh and its a shaftie! Start at the beginning with basics - get the carbs function correct as designed ie. #40 pilots and 115? mains and yes all needles have grooves to set their height (and based on everything else - your are likely to be wrong!) Set all the adjustments ie. mixture screws as the manual - usually 1.5 - 2 turns out. New correct plugs. Find out why #2 isn't firing. And for gods sake - jet wash the damn thing - it makes fault finding a whole lot easier!

I'm pretty sure that some USA models don't have adjustable needles, also they have a plug on the idle air screw

On 9/4/2020 at 8:26 PM, Reinhoud said:

I'm pretty sure that some USA models don't have adjustable needles, also they have a plug on the idle air screw

That's correct.  They were also jetted too lean; all about meeting the emissions requirements.  Mixture screw plugs are easily removed, needles can be shimmed, and jets replaced.

• Like 1