wheel alignment advice please

Mouse

Hi

I'm slowly getting the parts together for my GS750 build and i need to know how to align the rear wheel sprocket and the engine sprocket.

I will be using the gs engine in the standard  frame and a bandit rear wheel and swing arm.

I believe i will need a offset front sprocket but how do i make sure the chain run is straight and what offset i need ??, i have thought of various ways to achieve this including a piece of wood or steel clamped to the rear sprocket but if ether of these is not dead straight pop goes that idea, possible a laser but is that possible as i think that the light will have to start behind the wheel sprocket for the light to shine on both of sprockets, i have also heard of someone using a florescent tube but i don't know how this would work ???, possible tape it to the rear sprocket and then measure the gap between the front sprocket and the tube to know how much offset i need ???.

Thank you

Mouse.

I think everyone has there own way.

Me, I get some thick wall angle iron, put that going from the head stock along the top tube to the rear wheel, you can then center the wheel.

As for the sprockets you can use the same angle iron (once the wheel is affixed) you can put it on the rear sprocket through to the front and get you measurement you need for the offset.

If you have a look through the project you will find many more ways. Also using different rear sprocket carrier can bring the rear sprocket in a bit but I'm not 100% on which works on a blandit wheel 

Ps b6 or b12 that your using?  

All the straight edges noted have been used before as well as LED projection but if you are worrying about getting the wheel straight i'd forget the project as that bit is probably the easiest bit to get right. You either rely on the front or the rear sprockets being square or you'll be chasing your tail evermore!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, wraith said:

Ps b6 or b12 that your using?

Hi

It,s a b12 swingarm, wheel, and shock. from about a 2000 mode,l MK1 i think, also thanks for the photos much aperchated 

15 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

i'd forget the project

Not a chance of that, been wanting to do this for so long, i know other people have done it so why cant I  :).

My plan was to pull the wheel back as far as it will go in the swingarm and using all the spacers etc that came with it as this should place the wheel central in the swing arm, i will also be using top hat spacers so the swing arm should be central in the frame and then just slide straight into the GS frame.

At the moment i'm not sure i will need a offset front sprocket but i cannot see that i will be that lucky not to especially as i want to run a 180 section rear wheel but like to get ideas in advance, I just assumed that the sprockets needed to be as parallel as possible.

Thank you

Mouse.

• Like 1

Don't assume anything when modifying stuff! Wheels have been known to be offset slightly from the factory. Set a datum centreline from headstock down centre of bike and measure from that. Don't assume chain adjuster marks are the same either side until you've checked them and that they put axle parallel to SA pivot.

• Like 1

Try this. 

Fit the rear wheel with no spacers outside disc & sprocket, leave the one inside sprkt. carrier alone. Centre wheel roughly by eye. You could also take a measure from sw. arm pin to wheel spindle (both sides) to ensure rear wheel in straight ahead position. Make sure front wheel is in straight ahead position. Run two straight edges (or Brickies string lines) alongside rear wheel (touching it at four points, about 6" off the deck) & front wheel. Measure distances between line & front wheel on both sides. Adjust rear wheel accordingly to ensure equal measurements. This is best done with bare rims. Now align sprockets! You might get away with just an offset sprocket. If not, you're going to have to take material off the carrier. Sometimes you can reverse the rear sprocket, if it's dished, giving you a few mil. When that's sorted, make your new wheel spacers. 

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 3

The last gs1000 I did used the same way as pictures (gs1000 chain drive, gs1000g frame, zx9r swing arm, slingshot wheels) got wheel center I then remove 3mm off carrier turned rear sprocket around and put a 2mm washer :D sorry spacer behind front sprocket tab washer still just fit on shaft so didn't need to go to the expense of off set front sprocket.

• Like 2

Bandit 1200's use a 6mm spacer behind the front sprocket which should fit the  output shaft. I aligned my EFE sprockets by using a length of string. I made a small loop in string which I looped over a tooth on rear of rear sprocket, ran up inside of sprocket and through teeth. String then runs parallel along face of sprocket to front sprocket, You can then work out offset needed.