Breather out the filler cap - advantages?

Shill

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of builds with an engine breather+filter coming straight out the oil filler cap port. Wondered what's the advantage of this?
Does it let you fully remove and blank off the breather box on top of the engine? Can see how that would be good for clearance if so. Any other advantages?

Cheers
Shill

Edited by Shill
Clarity!

Nice one, cheers guys!

Already got the little filter on the cam cover, just looking for the lowdown on the other placement I'd seen about. Looks like I'm good for now!

Q2: how much smoking is reasonable out the breather filter... I asked when I got it dyno'd and the guy commented "yeah, she's just breathing a bit heavy" and seemed like nothing to worry about, when it's up to temp and sat idling it's a steady plume of smoke out there. Is that always the case? Might take a vid at the weekend.

Seen some with worn rings do it, but also seen good motors doing it when on a hot day in slow traffic and the engine is getting hot. If you're worried about it do a compression test with out oil down the bores and if reading is low with small amount of oil in the low bore and retest (y)

I always run with a crank case breather, 

1. I like the look of them. :) always had them pointing backwards but I will let you open that can of worms 

2. If the engine is breathing heavily it helps get rid of all the extra pressure and then you may not blow a seal or gasket ;)

Go to Torques and get the bits to make your own up will cost you about £30. (y) I didn't know this and payed well over the odds for one off fleybay 

• Like 1
On 8/13/2020 at 11:13 AM, Shill said:

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of builds with an engine breather+filter coming straight out the oil filler cap port. Wondered what's the advantage of this?
Does it let you fully remove and blank off the breather box on top of the engine? Can see how that would be good for clearance if so. Any other advantages?

Cheers
Shill

Yes they great for creating a big oilly mess.

If the cover is not extended out clutch acts like a lovely paddle wheel old skool water mill styley. Nice.

Yes they can help with big cc but not mounted there.

• Like 3