Unmounting regulator / rectifier GS850 1979

Maisf

Hi dudes,

After getting a new battery, my bike isn't charging at all, voltage stays at 12,5 volts whatever the rpm...

I've read all (well I think so) I could find on the subject and after some testings, stator is fine as I have over 75 volts on the three phases @ 5 000 rpm (static test)

It looks like I have a faulty r/r and I'm looking at the way to remove and it really looks like a pain in the $%"/...

Mine has phillips screw, no access for a screwdriver, recipe for stripping the heads...

I thought maybe I could remove the whole battery holder as this seems to be attached to it... But lot of stuff are attached to it, maybe it's more of a chore than the benefits of it.

Any thought?

3 hours ago, BigT said:

They're not Phillips screws, they're JIS

Get the proper screwdriver and, yes, it takes some work to remove them

Replace with a Shindegen SH-775 R/R

Well, this would be a one inch long screwdriver... There just no place for a screwdriver to fit in there! A box is the only option and it's not easy to put down some weight to avoid slippin' an' strippin'

:P

Yeah, JIS screws, I know...  I need the bigger model, I have the smaller one and there's 2 sizes if I remember correctly.

Gosh, I already bought an RMStator's r/r replacement, but I'll take note of that Shindegen one. Haven't read about this replacement part in my readings.

I just got my new battery, so I'm all set, I'll try this out soon.

I'm wondering if I can make a quick test with the new r/r, just connect in the three stator prongs in and get  black and red direct on the battery with some alligator clips. I'll check voltage and know right away if this workout, right?

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

You could always remove the engine to make access easier . . . . . . . . sort of makes removing the battery box soooo much faster LOL!

I could remove the swing arm as well... Cutout the frame... Buy a new bike...

xD