1100 M, ignition constantly on, even with block apart

fredbcj

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a possible short, daily sole vehicle, hot day yesterday, got some tea and cans after work, turned key off, kept running, cleaned ignition switch with contact cleaner, even in the off position I could start on the button,, I though I sorted it, but thinking the sun was the oil light on and I left it over night with fuses in, dead battery in morning, traced to if I take the signal fuse out it won't turn on the button, any ideas  as I don't want to go pulling everything off just yet 

Unplug the ignition switch from the loom. Does the bike behave as if the switch has been turned to off as normal? If so, the switch is faulty. If it's an OEM switch then these come aprt fairly easily for servicing. When stripping, do this in an old washing up bowl or similar to catch any small contacts, springs that may drop out. (This works well for stripping handlebar switches too.):)

• Like 1

It will actuate the relay under battery I think,  with the ignition block unplugged, main fuse removed and turn signal fuse removed, starts on the button,  its something around the starter solenoid, as if it's constantly got power ready to push the start button 

I do not know the type of ignition switch the later 1100s have; the slabbies have a very simple 4 wire switch that when on completes 2 independent circuits: orange-red, grey-brown. These create 2 switched positives. It sounds to me like you have a short on one of these circuits, so trace the colours back from the ignition switch block towards the fuse box. It's not blowing a fuse but it could be one of the positives has damaged insulation and is periodically touching earth. I would be looking at the orange as the brown-grey I think is the lighting circuit.