40mm carb settings

SFC

finally got myself some 40mm cv 's to match the 1100m engine after struggling with the bandit 12 36mm carbs forever and a day , need to know standard settings on 40,s so i can work from there, ramair filters/v&h sidewinder (baffled) was hoping to add about 10% on jet . tried looking but not finding any info

You'll have a power delivery full of holes, that was my experience trying to make my 40mm carbs work without the airbox - I used the std velocity stacks with ramair filters squeezed over the ends, I even had a factorypro kit for this conversion …. factorypro made the kit to work with k and N dual filters -  still think the airbox is needed, or some sort of airbox to make the 40s work well. I like a challenge and thought the weight saving doing away with the airbox would be a good idea … I failed. The bike needed 155 or 157.5 main jets to pull well up top - still not as good at any point as the airbox, pipercross filter, 145 mains, special needles and 40 pilots I have now - sorry sfc, it won't be easy. Flatslides are pretty easy to set-up for many altered filter/no filter stuff.     Oily

• Like 2

Yes starting to look a bit of a pain , no way I can get airbox in there but I have been told about Ledar air correction kit which may solve it I’ve never heard of one but worth a try once I source one , next step dyno time but I don’t won’t to be paying hundreds if it can’t be right, still got the 36 mm if all fails

1 hour ago, SFC said:

but I have been told about Ledar air correction kit which may solve it I’ve never heard of one but worth a try once I source one , 

Good luck on that quest - they are real old skool and designed for bikes like early GS's, ZED's and GSX1100's - went out of business long time since and don't think they ever did anything for later bikes!

• Like 1

so i gather  if i make an airbox out of carbon would it need to be a specific size/volume ?  and make life easier  or go with roughly oilyspanners setings and live to learn with it or or  persevere with the bandit 12 36mm one's  ?  thanking you all for the info its appreciated

A general rule for air-boxes is as large as possible or at least 3 or 4x engine capacity and designed so air is as still as possible within the box. But seriously, 000's of bikes run with 36mm CV's perfectly well - easy to tune and get right..................and run with K&N's / RamAirs etc.

• Like 1

its an old bob moss  frame,  changed a bit since i bought it , dit have a 12 engine but that went funky and ended up buying 1100m engine , used bandit carbs but not running to its potental so bought matching 40mm carbs hoping for an easy fix.....nothing going my way lately but will keep on at it slowly

• Like 1