Stick coil conversion

1 hour ago, Billythekidd said:

OK, yeah the dynas do take up a bit of space but with having a new loom built it should tidy some of that up anyway. Ill be keeping that diagram as I might put stick coils on my slingshot, which coils did you use? 

Ignitech do stick coils and they come with the connectors for your loom :)

16 hours ago, Billythekidd said:

OK, yeah the dynas do take up a bit of space but with having a new loom built it should tidy some of that up anyway. Ill be keeping that diagram as I might put stick coils on my slingshot, which coils did you use? 

Same as above: Denso coils from an '05 GSX-R600 (US), #129700-4420 J0440 (measuring 1.5±0.1 ohm) sources from Eblag.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, rdubandit said:

Same as above: Denso coils from an '05 GSX-R600 (US), #129700-4420 J0440 (measuring 1.5±0.1 ohm) sources from Eblag.

I used some from a GSXR750K1 and they go on OK. The connectors though are fairly expensive and fiddly, and are available in the UK from Kojak's Cat in Scotchland:)

9 hours ago, Scoobie666 said:

I’m just fitting dyna 2000 ignition to my 1100m. Anyone one know which coils I could use with it and source in uk? I think  dyna say 2.2 or 3 ohm coils 

If you want COP's - you won't find any in that rating. You must use any of the ones easily sourced and wire them in series so the resistances add up to an acceptable level. There are mucho plenty threads on OSS about COP types used - use Search!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 3:33 AM, Gixer1460 said:

If you want COP's - you won't find any in that rating. You must use any of the ones easily sourced and wire them in series so the resistances add up to an acceptable level. There are mucho plenty threads on OSS about COP types used - use Search!

I did a few searches after reading this thread.  I went through ~20 pages of nothing related and found only this thread.  I searched "coil on plug," "COP," and "stick coil."

6 minutes ago, GeorgeEI7KO said:

will the likes GSXR 600 Sticks work on a stock ignition system? Or does it have to be aftermarket? 

Stock coils are 3 ohm and the stock ignition isn't recommended to be used with Dyna 2.2 ohm Grey coils due to the increased amps they will pull through the ign. amp output transistors. Stick coils resistances vary between 1.0 and 1.5 ohms so when paired, some will be ok, some will not - aftermarket ign. outputs are usually a bit more resilient.

14 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Stock coils are 3 ohm and the stock ignition isn't recommended to be used with Dyna 2.2 ohm Grey coils due to the increased amps they will pull through the ign. amp output transistors. Stick coils resistances vary between 1.0 and 1.5 ohms so when paired, some will be ok, some will not - aftermarket ign. outputs are usually a bit more resilient.

Ah, ok that makes sense then. Cheers.