gsx 750/1100

Body work will fit either,I think from memory the 750 clocks aren’t the same but could be wrong and the swing arm on the 750 was steel rather than ali on the 1100.A resident ET expert will know better than me I’ve added 2 original spec sheets from 1981 just for info.The 750 frame will take the 1100 engine you just need different brackets made to bolt up the lower mount below the ignition cover.I’m sure there are other subtle differences, the 750 pump gear can also used to improve oil flow in the 1100 motor.I only speak from my experience I have a 750 frame with an 1100 engine in it.

06D6E509-47F1-4659-B70A-1D989FC7049D.jpeg

9FED9380-9043-4D27-9AFF-D98BA7BA4CB8.jpeg

• Like 1

ok good,  thanks for that,am i right in saying they are the same physical size or is the 750 smaller??, i think they are broadly the same, but will bow to greater knowledge, swingarm is not important as that would be swapped along with the front end, and the engine, i have got a donor bike already, gsxr 1100l  so would just need a few other bits and pieces, and a gsx.........:D

If i remember right the 750 has a smaller diameter swinging arm spindle (frame)  everything else is pretty much transferable. If its the 1100 engine in the 750 frame might have to take the breather cover off the top of the cam cover to fit engine in frame.

If your just going to using the frame and bodywork ever 1100 or 750 will do the job, both frames are the same size BUT I did get told the 750 had thinner tubing? But this is hear say and I can't say one way or the other. The 750 dose have smaller forks but that won't affect you ;)

Put a bandit 12 in my ET started with just a 1100 frame (all in projects ;)) and has been done many times so should be lots of info out there.

My Kat is the 750 jap import and I've put the 1100 oil cooled motor in that and all the 1100 Kat parts (panels etc) all go on with no problems, and when I was cutting the frame looks the same size tube as the gsx1100et frame.

• Like 1

looking at the specs for 750/1100 the 750 isn't that much lighter,  i cant see Suzuki using lighter weight tube but who knows, only reason for asking really is the 750 seems more plentiful than the 1100, so have plans for the  gsxr i have:D, so just getting my facts straight beforehand if you get my meaning. think i have seen drawings for engine brackets on here somewhere  so thats a start

Edited by mark35gun
35 minutes ago, wraith said:

If your just going to using the frame and bodywork ever 1100 or 750 will do the job, both frames are the same size BUT I did get told the 750 had thinner tubing? But this is hear say and I can't say one way or the other. The 750 dose have smaller forks but that won't affect you ;)

Put a bandit 12 in my ET started with just a 1100 frame (all in projects ;)) and has been done many times so should be lots of info out there.

My Kat is the 750 jap import and I've put the 1100 oil cooled motor in that and all the 1100 Kat parts (panels etc) all go on with no problems, and when I was cutting the frame looks the same size tube as the gsx1100et frame.

I got told about the thinner tubing by a suzuki main dealer back in the late 80's, but having cut a few frame about. Don't think its the case at all.

• Like 1

i am thinking the 1100L  i have just bought will make a good donor bike or would it be wrong to break it up?, i have never had a soft spot for them not like the efe or et's, it would give me just about everything i need i think for a special,  the efe i have is staying so an et it is i think, but i am not sure its the right way to go?????????

On 8/8/2020 at 4:31 PM, buff said:

I got told about the thinner tubing by a suzuki main dealer back in the late 80's, but having cut a few frame about. Don't think its the case at all.

I'm thinking that was something the dealer made up to justify the difference in cost between the 750 and 1100 models.  Both are essentially the same motorcycle, but the 1100 gets larger bore and stroke, and an aluminum swingarm.  The difference in manufacturing costs would not be that much.  In some countries there may have been higher import tariffs and other taxes included in the price of the 1100.  If the truth were to be known, the 1100 was sold at a higher profit margin but the dealer wanted you to think you were getting a lot more.

4 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

What? The 1100 engine has a completely different design basis to the 750 - they share being 4 cylinders with 4v/cylinder, nothing else is common bar some bolt on bits! Different electrics / loom and I think the forks are different but don't know for a fact!

750 have a smaller diameter fork to the 1100 but if you go to a 1100 katana and the 750 import s1-2 they have the same diameter as the Katana 1100 ;) don't know about the 1000.

But we are going off topic xD